On 17/01/07, Jacques GARRIGUE wrote: > > From: Tom > > So... why actually are polymorphic variants useful? Why can't they > simply be > > implemented as normal, concrete (or how would you call them? ...) > variants? > > The original motivation was for the LablTk library, where some types > (index for instance) have lots of small variations. At that point > there where several options > * overloading (but ocaml loathes overloading, you could say that the > total absence of overloading is essential to the language) > Is there a reason for that? Is it only hard to implement or are there any conceptual / strategical / theoretical reasons? > OCaml does not, as far as I know, have any structural typing for > records.. Hm... Actually, what I had in mind is nominal subtyping... similar to objects, in fact, objects in C++-like languages, just that they have no class methods. Now... close your eyes (but try to continue reading this ;) ) and imagine you're in a dreamworld. You are programming in a language that has * function overloading that allows you to have length "abcd" + length [1; 2; 3] * Constructor overloading, eliminating the need of type parse_expression = Pexp_name of string | Pexp_constant of constant | Pexp_let of (pattern * parse_expression) * parse_expression | Pexp_apply of parse_expression * parse_expression list | Pexp_try of parse_expression * (pattern * parse_expression) list type typed_expression = Texp_ident of ident | Texp_constant of constant | Texp_let of (pattern * typed_expression) * typed_expression | Texp_apply of typed_expression * typed_expression list | Texp_try of typed_expression * (pattern * typed_expression) list as it can be coded as type parse_expression = Name of string | Constant of constant | ... type typed_expression = Ident of ident | Constant of constant | ... * nominal subtyping of records, with overloaded field names: type widget = {x : float; y : float; width: float; height: float} (* top-level type *) type button = {widget | text : string } type checkbox = {button | checked : bool} type image = {widget | url : string} type vector = {x : float; y : float} type document {url : url} so subtypes could be applied to a function fun move : widget -> (float * float) -> unit let chk = {x = 0.0; y = 0.0; width = 10.0; height = 12.0; text = "Check me!"; checked = false} move chk (3.0, 3.0) and types could be "discovered" at runtime: let draw widget = typematch widget with w : widget -> draw_box (w.x, w.y, w.height, w.width) | b : button -> draw_box (b.x, b.y, b.height, b.width); draw_text b.text | i : image -> draw_image i.url (i.x, i.y) | ... Do you think you would be "satisfied" even without polymorphic variants? I am not saying this just for fun... I want to create a language with overloading, but I kinda don't really like polymorphic variants... thou if they turn out to be really useful, I would probably start to like them. Any comments? - Tom