* *s ignored on windows gui
@ 2004-10-26 12:20 Tiago Dionizio
From: Tiago Dionizio @ 2004-10-26 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

i was playing with ocaml (learning!) and bumped with something that i
think it might be a bug... since i didn't find anything explaining
this behaviour:

Objective Caml version 3.08.0

# print_string "**e";;
e- : unit = ()
# print_char '*';;
- : unit = ()
#

it seems that the '*' char is ignored at the beginning of the lines on
the windows gui, the same does -not- happen on the command line
version.

Is this a known problem? Sorry if this was reported already or if it a
known issue.

Tiago

* Re: [Caml-list] *s ignored on windows gui
@ 2004-10-26 15:49 ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2004-10-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tiago Dionizio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i was playing with ocaml (learning!) and bumped with something that i
> think it might be a bug... since i didn't find anything explaining
> this behaviour:
>
> Objective Caml version 3.08.0
>
> # print_string "**e";;
> e- : unit = ()
> # print_char '*';;
> - : unit = ()
> #

Try flushing stdout.

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] *s ignored on windows gui
@ 2004-10-26 16:06   ` David Brown
       [not found]     ` <c5a3ec0104102610237b92dcaa@mail.gmail.com>
From: David Brown @ 2004-10-26 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 05:49:20PM +0200, Alex Baretta wrote:

> ># print_string "**e";;
> >e- : unit = ()
>
> Try flushing stdout.

I don't think it will help, since the 'e' is getting printed, just not the
'*'s before it.  I don't see anything in the source that looks like it
would cause this problem, but there might be something subtle.  Did it
happen with 3.07?  The windows code changed quite a bit between.

Dave

@ 2004-10-26 21:38       ` Tiago Dionizio
From: Tiago Dionizio @ 2004-10-26 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I didn't try with 3.07, only started working with OCaml recently.

Although this is a very rough attempt on locating the problem, this
might have something to do with it:

on file win32caml/ocaml.c around the line 1319 here is what i found:

case WM_TIMERTICK:
                /** Modified by Chris Watford 21 Sept 2003 **/
                        hwndChild = (HWND) GetWindowLong(hwnd, DWL_USER);

                        if (ReadToLineBuffer())
                        {
                                int errMsg = 0;
                                char *p, *l = lineBuffer;

                                // Ok we read something. Display the
trimmed version
                                while(((*l) == ' ') || ((*l) == '\t')
|| ((*l) == '\n') || ((*l) == '\r') || ((*l) == '*'))
                                        l++;

I have no idea why it trims empty spaces and the *'s. There may be a
good reason for this to happen.. but i did get very confused when this
happened to me the first time.

Tiago

@ 2004-10-27  0:30         ` Christopher A. Watford
From: Christopher A. Watford @ 2004-10-27  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok let me explain why I trim these.

What happens when some luser forgets to terminate a comment, a string,
etc, the damn redirected shell process puts out either ' *' at the
front of a line, or just extra spaces. The actual variables etc aren't
being trimmed, just the output.

I'll try and work around having to trim those with some more
intelligent checks for user input failures.

Thanks for pointing out that bug! Keep them coming!

Chris

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:38:02 +0000, Tiago Dionizio <tngd81@gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't try with 3.07, only started working with OCaml recently.
>
> Although this is a very rough attempt on locating the problem, this
> might have something to do with it:
>
> on file win32caml/ocaml.c around the line 1319 here is what i found:

> case WM_TIMERTICK:
>                /** Modified by Chris Watford 21 Sept 2003 **/
>                        hwndChild = (HWND) GetWindowLong(hwnd, DWL_USER);
>
>                        if (ReadToLineBuffer())
>                        {
>                                int errMsg = 0;
>                                char *p, *l = lineBuffer;
>
>                                // Ok we read something. Display the
> trimmed version
>                                while(((*l) == ' ') || ((*l) == '\t')
> || ((*l) == '\n') || ((*l) == '\r') || ((*l) == '*'))
>                                        l++;
>
> I have no idea why it trims empty spaces and the *'s. There may be a
> good reason for this to happen.. but i did get very confused when this
> happened to me the first time.
>
> Tiago

> > > Try flushing stdout.
> >
> > I don't think it will help, since the 'e' is getting printed, just not the
> > '*'s before it.  I don't see anything in the source that looks like it
> > would cause this problem, but there might be something subtle.  Did it
> > happen with 3.07?  The windows code changed quite a bit between.
> >
> > Dave

Christopher A. Watford
christopher.watford@gmail.com
http://dorm.tunkeymicket.com

* Re: [Caml-list] *s ignored on windows gui
@ 2004-10-27  2:21           ` Christopher A. Watford
From: Christopher A. Watford @ 2004-10-27  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is some output from my recently applied changes:

# print_string "**e";;
**e- : unit = ()
# print_char '*';;
*- : unit = ()
# print_char '\t';;
- : unit = ()
#

  print_char '*';;
   *- : unit = ()
#

Note the crappy leading space if you use lots of lines.... I'm not
sure how I should go about checking for things like that. The old code
removed all whilespace leading the output (and those *'s, hehe sorry).

Is the desired functionality leaving the output intact? If so the
above looks like this:

# print_string "**e";;
**e- : unit = ()
# print_char '*';;
*- : unit = ()
# print_char '\t';;
	- : unit = ()
#

  print_char '*';;
      *- : unit = ()
#

With only a bunch of leading white space when you use more than 1
line. Should I have it detect and remove 1 space for each extra line?
The reality of what goes on is accurately shown below:

#

print_char '*';;
*- : unit = ()
#

Note I used no indentation between lines, and no indentation appeared
in my output. I think it would require a bit of extra work, but I
might could finagle keeping track of indentation for removal in the
output.

--

@ 2004-10-27  3:12             ` Christopher A. Watford
From: Christopher A. Watford @ 2004-10-27  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

#

  print_char '*';;
*- : unit = ()
#

  print_string "   3 spaces";;
_-_3 spaces- : unit = ()
#

I turned the spaces in the last example into an alternating pattern so
you could see nothing got trimmed! I'll get this code into CVS.

As always, if you want the bleeding edge of OCamlWinPlus, I suggest
you check out (that is my actual VS.Net project directory):
http://projects.tunkeymicket.com/OCamlWinPlus/Release/

If you'd like the more stable side of the bleeding edge (stable
directory on my webserver that only takes polished copies):
http://dorm.tunkeymicket.com/OCamlWinPlus/Release/

Hope that helps!

Chris

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:21:56 -0400, Christopher A. Watford

--

@ 2004-10-27 11:34               ` Tiago Dionizio
From: Tiago Dionizio @ 2004-10-27 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanks for looking into it :)

i see now why they were being trimmed, since the command line being
used is not interactive and gets the input buffer as a whole it will
output prompt characters for each line given on the "prompt".

As i see it, the ocaml toplevel could have a new option to turn the
prompt generation *off* so it didn't generate the prompt at all,
another way (the dirty way) would be to count input lines and delete
on the output 2 characters per input line (generated prompt chars). I
don't how you are doing it now. But i think both options could work.

Tiago

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:12:03 -0400, Christopher A. Watford