Indeed, as I said above, a book on "today's OCaml" should cover a wide variety of topics (syntax extensions with camlp4/5, general purpose libraries, specific libraries like ocamlnet, GTK+ and OpenGL binding, etc). To write such a book, there would be the need for many authors with time and knowledge to produce a good learning and practice material for OCaml ! I think many of us would enjoy writing some paragraphs for such a project... But would there be enough people to achieve the writing of an entire (and good) book ? On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Jon Harrop wrote: > On Thursday 02 April 2009 13:41:01 Ed Keith wrote: > > Having said that, I currently have some free time time and would be > willing > > to offer my assistance to this project. It would give me the opportunity > to > > hone my writing and ocaml skills, and I believe as an experienced > > professional programmer (I have worked in government, military, finance, > > medicine, aviation, and research) and ocaml newbie I could bring a useful > > perspective to the project. > > > > I hope I can be of service, > > I think the existing books cover the core parts of the language well so > there > is no need for further work in that area but I would like to see books > covering the following topics: > > . Batteries (!). > > . Libraries, e.g. LablGTK. > > . Post 3.10 camlp4. > > . Other tools, e.g. menhir, dpygen, bitstrings, micmatch. > > There are also some areas where I think today's OCaml software could be > improved: > > . Automatic FFI stub JIT compilation using LLVM. > > . OpenGL 3 bindings. > > . GUI libraries. > > . IDEs (probably depends upon GUI libraries). > > -- > Dr Jon Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd. > http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e > > _______________________________________________ > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management: > http://yquem.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/caml-list > Archives: http://caml.inria.fr > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs > -- Alp Mestan In charge of the C++ section on Developpez.com.