* [Caml-list] Lazyness and exceptions
@ 2012-11-22 10:29 Jean-vincent.Loddo
From: Jean-vincent.Loddo @ 2012-11-22 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I have observed a strange behaviour of lazy values when an exception is
raised. Here a minimal code that reproduces the behaviour:

# let action =
     let thunk () =
       Printf.printf "aaa\n";
       failwith "bbb"
     in
     lazy (thunk ());;

val action : unit lazy_t = <lazy>

# Lazy.force action ;;
aaa
Exception: Failure "bbb".

# Lazy.force action ;;
Exception: Failure "bbb".

The lazy value seems to be (correctly) not re-evaluated but the
exception is (strangely) raised again. Why does this happen?
Jean-Vincent Loddo

* Re: [Caml-list] Lazyness and exceptions
@ 2012-11-22 10:33 ` Török Edwin
From: Török Edwin @ 2012-11-22 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 11/22/2012 12:29 PM, Jean-vincent.Loddo@lipn.univ-paris13.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have observed a strange behaviour of lazy values when an exception is raised. Here a minimal code that reproduces the behaviour:
>
> # let action =
>     let thunk () =
>       Printf.printf "aaa\n";
>       failwith "bbb"
>     in
>     lazy (thunk ());;
>
> val action : unit lazy_t = <lazy>
>
> # Lazy.force action ;;
> aaa
> Exception: Failure "bbb".
>
> # Lazy.force action ;;
> Exception: Failure "bbb".
>
> The lazy value seems to be (correctly) not re-evaluated but the exception is (strangely) raised again. Why does this happen?

Its the documented behavior:
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/libref/Lazy.html

Unfortunately the original backtrace will be lost.

--Edwin

* Re: [Caml-list] Lazyness and exceptions
@ 2012-11-22 10:37   ` David House
From: David House @ 2012-11-22 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In other words: what alternative semantics would you actually want?

@ 2012-11-22 10:57     ` Jean-vincent.Loddo
From: Jean-vincent.Loddo @ 2012-11-22 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Ok, I understand now why. In the case of my example this choice could
be discussed because of the nature of the output (unit), because it's
not clear if the exception belongs to the output domain of the function
or not (it's a semantics question). However, in the general case we
cannot provide a reasonable output without re-evaluating the expression.
Thanks.