From: "Nicolas Pouillard" <nicolas.pouillard@gmail.com>
To: "MetaPRL Developers" <metaprl-devel@metaprl.org>,
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [Camlp4] Beta-release
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:52:59 +0200	[thread overview]

On 5/16/06, Aleksey Nogin <nogin@cs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> I have a question/feature request.
>
> For our camlp4 usage (in MetaPRL theorem prover - http://metaprl.org/ ),
> we need to:
> - extend the OCaml grammar
> - refer to a "state" when parsing the extensions.
>
> Currently we have to put the state in a global ref (yuck!), which causes
> all kinds of difficulties.
>
> Is this something that can be done better in your reimplementation? Can
Not yet.
> something like this be added to your reimplementation?
Why not, it depends on the difficulty.

> Basically, I would really like to see camlp4 help with the following:
>
> 1) Defining parsers that depend on a shared state that is passed around.
I don't know what you mean by shared state: a mutable data, a purely
functional data structure? And what will be the kind of this state,
because that state must be extensible by any extension.

> 3) (completely unrelated) I wish there was a way to tell camlp4 to
> detect and report conflicts!
There is no way to detect more conflicts than by default. Sorry.
But concerning errors the new token system helps by reporting errors
at compile time for example a typo in LIDENT will be get by the OCaml
typing system.

--
Nicolas Pouillard