* ocaml and int64
@ 2008-04-02  0:54 Ludovic Coquelle
From: Ludovic Coquelle @ 2008-04-02  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml

I wrote a direct translation of a simple algo from F# to ocaml.
(details can be found here:
http://khigia.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/ocaml-vs-f-for-big-integer-surprising-performance-test/
)

The compile F# program (12s) is much faster than Ocaml (30s), probably
because the algo do integer arithmetic with Int64 module (thanks to David
for this info).

Have someone here face this kind of problem (optimizing a code doing
arithmetic on big integer)?
Any advice to improve the Ocaml code (without changing the algo)?

Thanks

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml and int64
@ 2008-04-02  1:50 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2008-04-02  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 01:54:54 Ludovic Coquelle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a direct translation of a simple algo from F# to ocaml.
> (details can be found here:
> http://khigia.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/ocaml-vs-f-for-big-integer-surprisin
>g-performance-test/ )
>
> The compile F# program (12s) is much faster than Ocaml (30s), probably
> because the algo do integer arithmetic with Int64 module (thanks to David
> for this info).
>
> Have someone here face this kind of problem (optimizing a code doing
> arithmetic on big integer)?
> Any advice to improve the Ocaml code (without changing the algo)?

Get a 64-bit machine. ;-)

There are some performance pitfalls in your code (which takes 21s on my
machine):

. OCaml makes no attempt to optimize integer div and mod so avoid these at all
costs. In this case, use bitwise ANDs and shifts.

. Int64 is boxed by default and your use of recursion is likely to worsen this
effect.

Optimizing for these, the following code takes only 4.6s, which is 4.6x faster
than your original:

let int = Int64.to_int
let int64 = Int64.of_int
let ( +: ) = Int64.add
let ( -: ) = Int64.sub
let ( *: ) = Int64.mul
let ( >>> ) = Int64.shift_right

let rec seq_length x n =
  match x with
  | 0L -> n +: 1L
  | 1L -> seq_length 0L (n +: 1L)
  | x when int x land 1 = 0 -> seq_length (x >>> 1) (n +: 1L)
  | _ -> seq_length (3L *: x +: 1L) (n +: 1L)

let rec loop i imax n =
  let n' = seq_length i 0L in
  let imax, n = if n' > n then (i, n') else (imax, n) in
  if i < 1000000L then loop (i +: 1L) imax n else imax

let _ = print_string (Int64.to_string (loop 1L 0L 0L))

Using 63-bit ints on a 64-bit machine, the time drops to only 2s:

let rec seq_length x n =
  match x with
  | 0 -> n + 1
  | 1 -> seq_length 0 (n + 1)
  | x when x land 1 = 0 -> seq_length (x lsr 1) (n + 1)
  | _ -> seq_length (3*x + 1) (n + 1)

let rec loop i imax n =
  let n' = seq_length i 0 in
  let imax, n = if n' > n then (i, n') else (imax, n) in
  if i < 1000000 then loop (i+1) imax n else imax

let _ = print_string (string_of_int (loop 1 0 0))

As you have allured to, algorithmic optimizations buy you even more. The
following implementation is several times faster again, taking only 0.6s to
complete:

let int = Int64.to_int
let int64 = Int64.of_int
let ( +: ) = Int64.add
let ( -: ) = Int64.sub
let ( *: ) = Int64.mul

let rec inside a n =
  if n<=1L then 0 else
    if a.(int n)>0 then a.(int n) else
      let p =
        if int n land 1 = 0 then inside a (Int64.shift_right n 1) else
          let n = 3L *: n +: 1L in
          if n < int64(Array.length a) then inside a n else outside a n in
      a.(int n) <- 1 + p;
      1 + p
and outside a n =
  let n = if int n land 1 = 0 then Int64.shift_right n 1 else 3L *: n +: 1L in
  1 + if n < int64(Array.length a) then inside a n else outside a n

let euler14 n =
  let a = Array.create (n+1) 0 in
  let longest_n = ref 0 and longest_len = ref 0 in
  for n=1 to n do
    let len = inside a (int64 n) in
    if len > !longest_len then begin
      longest_n := n;
      longest_len := len
    end
  done;
  !longest_n, !longest_len

let () =
  let n, len = euler14 1000000 in
  Printf.printf "%d: %d\n%!" n len

Converting this to use native ints on my 64-bit machine the time drops to only
0.2s, which is over 100x faster than your original!

However, this benchmark really plays to F#'s strengths and you will probably
never beat F# here. My best F# is 3x faster than anything I can write in
OCaml, not least because it is trivial to parallelize efficiently but also
because F# and .NET automate many relevant optimizations.

HTH.

* Re: ocaml and int64
@ 2008-04-02  9:43   ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2008-04-02  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 02-04-2008, Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 01:54:54 Ludovic Coquelle wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wrote a direct translation of a simple algo from F# to ocaml.
>> (details can be found here:
>> http://khigia.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/ocaml-vs-f-for-big-integer-surprisin
>>g-performance-test/ )
>>
>> The compile F# program (12s) is much faster than Ocaml (30s), probably
>> because the algo do integer arithmetic with Int64 module (thanks to David
>> for this info).
>>
>> Have someone here face this kind of problem (optimizing a code doing
>> arithmetic on big integer)?
>> Any advice to improve the Ocaml code (without changing the algo)?
>
> Get a 64-bit machine. ;-)
>
> There are some performance pitfalls in your code (which takes 21s on my
> machine):
>
> . OCaml makes no attempt to optimize integer div and mod so avoid these at all
> costs. In this case, use bitwise ANDs and shifts.
>
> . Int64 is boxed by default and your use of recursion is likely to worsen this
> effect.
>
> Optimizing for these, the following code takes only 4.6s, which is 4.6x faster
> than your original:

Nice speed up... But without changing the algo, replace seq_length by:

let limit_int =
  (max_int / 3) - 1
;;

let limit_int64 =
  Int64.of_int max_int
;;

let rec seq_length_int x n =
    match x with
    | 0 ->
        (n + 1)
    | 1 ->
        seq_length_int 0 (n + 1)
    | x when x mod 2 = 0 ->
        seq_length_int (x / 2) (n + 1)
    | _ ->
        if x < limit_int then
          seq_length_int ((3 * x) + 1) (n + 1)
        else
          seq_length_int64 (Int64.of_int x) n
and seq_length_int64 x n =
    match x with
    | 0L ->
        (n + 1)
    | 1L ->
        seq_length_int64 0L (n + 1)
    | x when x %% 2L = 0L ->
        let nx =
          x // 2L
        in
          if Int64.compare nx limit_int64 < 0 then
            seq_length_int (Int64.to_int nx) (n + 1)
          else
            seq_length_int64 nx (n + 1)
    | _ ->
        seq_length_int64 (Int64.succ (3L ** x)) (n + 1)
;;

let seq_length =
  seq_length_int64
;;

Give you a 19x speed up on 32 bit machine. On 64 bit machine this should
lead to nearly native performance (i.e. beat F# more than you think).

The trick is very simple: switch to "int" as soon as you can, only use
boxed integer when you cannot do anything else (in my case the limit is
when we go from 64bit to 31bit integer, but on 64bit machine this will
be when you go from 64bit to 63bit integer i.e. you will always compute
using "int" which will be native perf).

You can explain the perf gain by doing some statistic on 3n + 1, n / 2,
to see how much time is spend under max_int... and explain the speed-up
;-)

Applying the ">>>" trick of Dr. Harrop doesn't really improve perf here
(even if it is a good idea).

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

ps: for the sake of writing better code, there is a way to write the
code in a more generic way, but i am too lazy
pps:
gildor@peta:~/tmp/ocaml-test/eul14$ time ./eul14
837799
real    1m11.870s