* where is GMain and ...
@ 2005-10-06 13:03 Rasool Karimi
From: Rasool Karimi @ 2005-10-06 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

My previous problem is solved. I had forgotten to install "asm" program!.
Now I have another problem. When I Compile my program, at end of
compilation, it reports an error that can not find following files:
GMain referenced from term.cmx
Winfo referenced from functions.cmx
GBin referenced from term.cmx
GButton referenced from term.cmx
GtkText referenced from term.cmx
Glib referenced from term.cmx
Tk referenced from functions.cmx
GTree referenced from term.cmx
GMisc referenced from term.cmx
GdkEvent referenced from term.cmx
Crosstable referenced from parser.cmx
GPack referenced from term.cmx
GtkSignal referenced from term.cmx
Str referenced from table.cmx
GText referenced from term.cmx
GEdit referenced from term.cmx
Gobject referenced from term.cmx
Canvas referenced from functions.cmx
GdkKeysyms referenced from term.cmx
GWindow referenced from term.cmx
GMenu referenced from term.cmx
I think that I should add a library to OCaml. But what is this library? How
can I find it? How can I install it?
Thank you,
Karimi

* Re: [Caml-list] where is GMain and ...
@ 2005-10-06 21:04 ` Jeremy O'Donoghue
From: Jeremy O'Donoghue @ 2005-10-06 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasool Karimi; +Cc: caml-list

Hi Karimi,

On 06/10/05, Rasool Karimi <rkarimi@gmail.com> wrote:
> My previous problem is solved. I had forgotten to install "asm" program!.
> Now I have another problem. When I Compile my program, at end of
> compilation, it reports an error that can not find following files:
>   GMain referenced from term.cmx
>   Winfo referenced from functions.cmx
>   GBin referenced from term.cmx
>   GButton referenced from term.cmx
>   GtkText referenced from term.cmx
>   Glib referenced from term.cmx
[snip]

This looks as though it is Lablgtk2, which is probably the bset
supported Ocaml GUI at the moment (although it may be the older
Lablgtk - the documentation of the program you're trying to compile
should make this clear).

Your first message suggests that you are compiling for Windows, which
means that you're in for a tough ride. Lablgtk2 is an Ocaml binding
for Gtk 2.x, which is a popular Linux/Unix widget set. There is a
Windows port, but it is quite painful to install (I should know, I did
it a couple of weeks back...)

Go to http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html and
download lablgtk-2.4.0.tar.gz. Note that you cannot use the Windows
binary package if you want to compile with ocamlopt.

Unzip and untar, and read README and (especially) README.win32 carefully.

Go to http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html and download
the required binary installer packages (there are a lot of them). You
will need both runtime and developer files.

Install these somewhere sensible. I would strongly recommend that you
ensure that you don't have any spaces in the directory path (I used
c:\libs\gtk2 - definitely avoid c:\Program Files\...), and ensure that
your path environment variable points to the installed Gtk+ library
components.

Now follow the build instructions for Lablgtk2 carefully.

I use the word carefully rather often as the install worked perfectly
for me, but only after several false starts where I tried to cut
corners.

If you are building on Linux or another Unix system, it is likely that
the Gtk+ libraries are already installed. If they are not, then they
should be much easier to get and iinstall than for Windows.

Good luck!

Jeremy

* Re: [Caml-list] where is GMain and ...
@ 2005-10-07 13:05   ` T. Kurt Bond
From: T. Kurt Bond @ 2005-10-07 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy O'Donoghue; +Cc: Rasool Karimi, caml-list

Jeremy O'Donoghue writes:
> Your first message suggests that you are compiling for Windows, which
> means that you're in for a tough ride. Lablgtk2 is an Ocaml binding
> for Gtk 2.x, which is a popular Linux/Unix widget set. There is a
> Windows port, but it is quite painful to install (I should know, I did
> it a couple of weeks back...)
>
> Go to http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html and
> download lablgtk-2.4.0.tar.gz. Note that you cannot use the Windows
> binary package if you want to compile with ocamlopt.
>
> Unzip and untar, and read README and (especially) README.win32 carefully.
>
> Go to http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html and download
> the required binary installer packages (there are a lot of them). You
> will need both runtime and developer files.

I find it much less painful to get all the Win32 Gtk+ development libraries
from the distribution the Gaim folks publish, since they package them
up in one tar.gz:

    http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/build.php
--
T. Kurt Bond, tkb@tkb.mpl.com