* OCaml and GPUs
@ 2009-09-09 10:42 Guillaume Hennequin
From: Guillaume Hennequin @ 2009-09-09 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I was wondering if there has been any effort so far in interfacing OCaml
with GPU programming solutions like AMD Stream, or OpenCL.
I'm only aware of Daml (CUDA bindings).

I wrote some pieces of AMD Brook bindings a while ago to do very basic
read/write operations on GPU, plus some kernel calls.
I don't have much time to invest in this unfortunately.
With OpenCL's ability to compile kernels at runtime, bindings for Ocaml
could even offer the nice possibility to write the kernels in .ml files as
strings, which would save a lot of wrappers around kernel-only C files.

any ideas, comments, pointers ?

Guillaume.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml and GPUs
@ 2009-09-09 12:37 ` Sashan Govender
From: Sashan Govender @ 2009-09-09 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Hennequin; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 12:42:35 PM, Guillaume Hennequin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there has been any effort so far in interfacing OCaml
> with GPU programming solutions like AMD Stream, or OpenCL.
> I'm only aware of Daml (CUDA bindings).
>
> I wrote some pieces of AMD Brook bindings a while ago to do very basic
> read/write operations on GPU, plus some kernel calls.

Not aware of any other bindings. I think I got daml to a stage similar to your
Brook bindings where you could allocate a floating point array in the gpu and
then maybe do something with that array. I can't really remember. It's been a
while since I looked at it.

> I don't have much time to invest in this unfortunately.
> With OpenCL's ability to compile kernels at runtime, bindings for Ocaml
> could even offer the nice possibility to write the kernels in .ml files as
> strings, which would save a lot of wrappers around kernel-only C files.

I would have expected CUDA to have a similar ability but haven't checked.