* Issues building batteries / installing camlzip
@ 2009-05-21 14:46 Malcolm Reynolds
From: Malcolm Reynolds @ 2009-05-21 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi, apologies if this is the wrong place for this message but I'm not
sure exactly which piece of software I'm having issues with here.

I am trying to build Batteries on OS X 1.5.6. I am using a binary of
OCaml 3.11.0, and am attempting to build and install all dependencies.
My problem is that when I think I'm done, trying "./configure" in the
Batteries directory gets me this:

checking for ocamlc.opt... ocamlc.opt
checking ocaml version... configure: 3.11.0
checking for ocamlopt.opt... ocamlopt.opt
checking for ocamlbuild... ocamlbuild
checking for ocamldoc.opt... ocamldoc.opt
checking for ocamlfind... ocamlfind
checking findlib package camomile... found
checking findlib package zip... ocamlfind: Package `zip' not found
configure: WARNING: not found
checking findlib package camlzip... ocamlfind: Package `camlzip' not found
configure: WARNING: not found
configure: error: Cannot find Camlzip

Clearly some problem with camlzip, but as far as I can tell that's
installed fine. I edited the makefile variables from
/usr/local/{include,lib}/ to /usr/{include,lib} because that matches
where OS X puts those files. It seems to build with no problem, and
when I do install it looks like it's copying to `ocaml -g -where`,
which evaluates to /usr/local/lib/ocaml - there is a zip subdirectory
here, and it contains these files:

dllcamlzip.so gzip.cmx      libcamlzip.a  zip.cma       zip.cmx       zip.mli
gzip.cmi      gzip.mli      zip.a         zip.cmi       zip.cmxa

Does this look reasonable? I'm definitely still missing something,
because as well as the batteries configure script complaining, if i do
'ocamlfind list' I get a long list of libraries that does not include
zip or camlzip (all the other ones I've installed myself like
binprot/camomile/sexplib etc are present). The files are clearly being
installed somewhere, but some part of the system doesn't know where to
find them...

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I wonder whether it's
due to some OS X idiosyncracy, like having library files end in
".dylib" rather that ".a"...

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm

* Re: [Caml-list] Issues building batteries / installing camlzip
@ 2009-05-21 16:05 ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2009-05-21 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 03:46:42PM +0100, Malcolm Reynolds wrote:
> which evaluates to /usr/local/lib/ocaml - there is a zip subdirectory
> here, and it contains these files:
>
> dllcamlzip.so gzip.cmx      libcamlzip.a  zip.cma       zip.cmx       zip.mli
> gzip.cmi      gzip.mli      zip.a         zip.cmi       zip.cmxa
>
> Does this look reasonable? I'm definitely still missing something,

Yes, you are missing a META file, that "registers" camlzip with
findlib, which is in turn used by the batteries configuration
machinery to decide whether camlzip is installed or not.

> Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I wonder whether
> it's due to some OS X idiosyncracy, like having library files end in
> ".dylib" rather that ".a"...

Looks like is more the fact that your camlzip "upstream" is not
shipping META, while both Debian and GODI are doing that. You can take
the META file from one of us/them and add it to your camlzip dir.

Cheers.

* Re: [Caml-list] Issues building batteries / installing camlzip
@ 2009-05-21 17:03   ` Peter Hawkins
From: Peter Hawkins @ 2009-05-21 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi...

See the "README" file in the Batteries distribution:

**** Requirements ****
You will need
* Camlzip   (http://cristal.inria.fr/~xleroy/software.html#camlzip)
  ( Note: By default, the distribution of Camlzip is note quite sufficient for
actual use.
    We provide the missing files in directory camlzip/ .)

Maybe that explanation could be a bit more thorough... (and I think
"note quite" should be "not quite" ).

Cheers,
Peter