Hi Florian, It took me some time to get over the fact that Protobuf is just a payload encoding protocol: no less, but no more. You can think of it as OSI layer 6 (presentation). Everything else, including reliable (or unreliable) delivery (layer 4), message routing (layer 3), or even the wire protocol are separate concerns. You may want to look into existing message transport solutions such as ZMQ if the situation is more complicated than point to point stateless communication. On 02/11/2018 09:15 PM, picflo_2@web.de wrote: > Hi, >   > thanks for all the answers, I will look deeper into ocaml-protoc. >   > As a kind of follow-up question. Do you add some kind of unique > identifier to every message to allow resending the message in case > some service goes down? >   > Thanks again for the help here I highly appreciate it, > Florian >   >