Thank you Basile and Xavier, you were very helpful. That's nice of you. Basile, I'm sorry but I'm not sure I can talk freely about what we're about to do. Sorry, company policy :( Anyway, thanks again and I'll write back when I'll have other questions. Gregory BELLIER. 2009/3/27 Xavier Leroy > Just to complement Basile's excellent answers: > > > Do you know if it is possible to compile caml code on a PowerPC 405 > > from the Vertex 4 family ? > > We'd like to put this processor in a FPGA. On the Caml's website, > > it is written "PowerPC" but is it only for Macintosch ? > > Not just Macintosh: PowerPC/Linux is also supported and works very > well. > > > Yes, it will run Linux. It will have the uclibC or even the lib C. > > Then you're in good shape. I would expect a basic OCaml system to > work with uclibC, although a number of external libraries might not. > With GNU libC, everything will work but watch out for code size: > glibc is big! > > > The best case is to run native code for better performance. We'd > > like to cross-compile for the PowerPC. > > Setting up OCaml as a cross-compiler is a bit of a challenge at the > moment. As a prerequisite, you'll need a complete cross-compilation > environment for C: cross-compiler, cross-binutils, libraries and > header files for your target. It sounds obvious but in my experience > that's quite hard to get right. Then, there is a bit of configuration > magic to be done on the OCaml side. Write back for help if you're > going to follow this way. > > A perhaps simpler alternative would be to compile on a bigger > PowerPC/Linux platform. An old Mac would be handy for this, but you > can also use a Sony Playstation 3 (if you happen to have one around > for, ahem, R&D purposes) after installing YellowDog Linux on it. > > - Xavier "doing lots of R&D with my PS3" Leroy > >