* [Caml-list] Introspection of functions with Utop
@ 2020-04-21 11:40 orbifx
From: orbifx @ 2020-04-21 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Is there a way for utop to show the definition of a function? Or does it compile it right after parsing it?

Thanks

* Re: [Caml-list] Introspection of functions with Utop
@ 2020-04-21 14:08 ` Ali M.
From: Ali M. @ 2020-04-21 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orbifx; +Cc: caml-list

I would suggest to also ask this question on the discourse forum
https://discuss.ocaml.org/
You might get better interaction

@ 2020-04-24 16:05   ` orbifx
From: orbifx @ 2020-04-24 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali M.; +Cc: caml-list

On 21/04/2020 15:08, Ali M. wrote:
> I would suggest to also ask this question on the discourse forum
> https://discuss.ocaml.org/
> You might get better interaction

Thank you. I prefer the mailing list directly. I was given an answer on this by Alan in the XMPP room[1] for OCaml.

[1]: xmpp:ocaml@conference.orbitalfox.eu?join

* Re: [Caml-list] Introspection of functions with Utop
@ 2020-04-25  6:43     ` Malcolm Matalka
From: Malcolm Matalka @ 2020-04-25  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orbifx; +Cc: Ali M., caml-list

orbifx <fox@orbitalfox.eu> writes:

> On 21/04/2020 15:08, Ali M. wrote:
>> I would suggest to also ask this question on the discourse forum
>> https://discuss.ocaml.org/
>> You might get better interaction
>
> Thank you. I prefer the mailing list directly. I was given an answer
> on this by Alan in the XMPP room[1] for OCaml.

What's the answer??

@ 2020-04-25 13:12       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2020-04-25 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Malcolm Matalka, orbifx; +Cc: Ali M., caml-list

On 2020-04-25 08:43, Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka@gmail.com> writes:

> What's the answer??

There is no way to print the code of the function. It is compiled to
bytecode by the toplevel and added to the current environment.

Best,

Alan

* Re: [Caml-list] Introspection of functions with Utop
@ 2020-04-25 13:37         ` Basile Starynkevitch
From: Basile Starynkevitch @ 2020-04-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 4/25/20 3:12 PM, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> On 2020-04-25 08:43, Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What's the answer??
> There is no way to print the code of the function. It is compiled to
> bytecode by the toplevel and added to the current environment.

Unless (on Linux/x86-64 at least) you compile the code with the -g
debugging option.

Adventurous developers could even couple that with Ian Taylor's
libbacktrace library. I leave them to check license compatibility with
their lawyers.

https://github.com/ianlancetaylor/libbacktrace

The real issue is of course funding, as usual. DWARF support in Ocaml
needs improvement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DWARF

> --

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   == http://starynkevitch.net/Basile
opinions are mine only - les opinions sont seulement miennes
Bourg La Reine, France; <basile@starynkevitch.net>
(mobile phone: cf my web page / voir ma page web...)

* Re: [Caml-list] Introspection of functions with Utop
@ 2020-04-27 16:11           ` Josh Berdine
From: Josh Berdine @ 2020-04-27 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Note that in the particular case of DWARF support, my reading of the "Improved DWARF and GDB support" section of https://blog.janestreet.com/a-look-at-ocaml-4.08/ leaves the impression that it is at least as much about upstream receptiveness as about resources.