Thanks for the public praise, I do need those, especially in the morning. But you can send me private mails of appreciation, too. Just not too often, I might get used to it ;-) Anyway, to be fair, it should be noted that Chris Hecker came up with the idea for this patch and implemented a first proof of concept... Regards, Markus On 3/21/06, Andries Hekstra wrote: > Dear Member of the OCaml mailing list, > > The problem about which I reported on this reflector around two weeks ago > (array index violation after around 4 days) has in the mean time been solved > thanks to the great native function call backtrace for the ocamlopt compiler > due to Markus Mottl. Given that my program crashed after 3.7 days, and my > program ran around 30x slower in byte code, debugging using byte code was > not an option (this slowdown had been similar if I had used _DEBUG mode of a > C++ program instead of _RELEASE version). Also, as reported earlier, putting > "try ... with " around all attempts to index an array is not feasbile in > standard OCaml for array elements in the left hand sides of assignments. A > static unhandled exception checker provided on a web page, ran into dead > HTML links. > > Hence, the native function call, which comes at minimal runtime overhead > cost, mainly the cost of -inline 0, is a great new feature that would give > OCaml another advantage over C++ when added to the OCaml language in a next > release. Below I give a toy example : > > -- Markus Mottl http://www.ocaml.info markus.mottl@gmail.com