Hi, On 10/25/06, Hendrik Tews wrote: > > >From the comments of Damien Doligez in a related thread in > > http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2004/07/84cd291931627c13faf56a259026885c.en.html > I got the impression that there is extra punishment for > caml_local_roots. Should the situation improve if I organize the > 350.000 ocaml node pointers on the ocaml side via one local root > (asumming this information is needed not so often)? > This is a known problem: the OCaml-runtime calls this function (caml_oldify_local_roots) at each minor collection. The function iterates over all local roots, and since minor collections happen quite often, this naturally leads to excessive CPU-usage - even if hardly anything else is going on. To work around this problem you should store pointers to the C++-objects on the C++-side, and e.g. associate them with finalized OCaml-values, or handles which allow you to explicitly deallocate the objects. It would be great if the GC could be improved in situations where there are many local roots. This is a pretty common problem when interfacing non-trivial third party libraries, and the clumsy workarounds require writing somewhat error-prone code. Best regards, Markus -- Markus Mottl http://www.ocaml.info markus.mottl@gmail.com