* anyone got mlgame working against the latest ocamlsdl?
@ 2009-12-05 20:13 Martin DeMello
From: Martin DeMello @ 2009-12-05 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

MLGame [http://mlgame.sourceforge.net/] looks promising, but won't
compile against the current ocamlsdl from godi. Has anyone got it
working? Is there another nice alternative for 2D games on OCaml,
higher-level than plain SDL or Allegro?

martin

* Re: [Caml-list] anyone got mlgame working against the latest ocamlsdl?
@ 2009-12-06  9:07 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-12-06  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin DeMello; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 01:43:43AM +0530, Martin DeMello wrote:
> MLGame [http://mlgame.sourceforge.net/] looks promising, but won't
> compile against the current ocamlsdl from godi. Has anyone got it
> working? Is there another nice alternative for 2D games on OCaml,
> higher-level than plain SDL or Allegro?

Looks interesting -- have you tried compiling it and fixing the SDL
problems?

This is an area where we could do better than CPAN by allowing
non-maintainers to branch inactive projects.  (Backing the whole thing
with git instead of tarballs makes branching easy and lightweight -
the challenge then being to organize it, making the branches
searchable, navigable and possible to merge later).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] anyone got mlgame working against the latest  ocamlsdl?
@ 2009-12-06 11:41   ` Martin DeMello
From: Martin DeMello @ 2009-12-06 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 01:43:43AM +0530, Martin DeMello wrote:
>> MLGame [http://mlgame.sourceforge.net/] looks promising, but won't
>> compile against the current ocamlsdl from godi. Has anyone got it
>> working? Is there another nice alternative for 2D games on OCaml,
>> higher-level than plain SDL or Allegro?
>
> Looks interesting -- have you tried compiling it and fixing the SDL
> problems?

Trying, with the help of the beginners' list. It's asking for a
constructor for Sdlvideo.surface, but I'm having trouble understanding
why it needs one - surface is a C-backed type.

> This is an area where we could do better than CPAN by allowing
> non-maintainers to branch inactive projects.  (Backing the whole thing
> with git instead of tarballs makes branching easy and lightweight -
> the challenge then being to organize it, making the branches
> searchable, navigable and possible to merge later).

Yes, I was just thinking the same thing. I'll put something up on
github at the least, if I get it working.

martin

* Re: anyone got mlgame working against the latest  ocamlsdl?
@ 2009-12-06 20:45     ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2009-12-06 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 06-12-2009, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 01:43:43AM +0530, Martin DeMello wrote:
>>> MLGame [http://mlgame.sourceforge.net/] looks promising, but won't
>>> compile against the current ocamlsdl from godi. Has anyone got it
>>> working? Is there another nice alternative for 2D games on OCaml,
>>> higher-level than plain SDL or Allegro?
>>
>> Looks interesting -- have you tried compiling it and fixing the SDL
>> problems?
>
> Trying, with the help of the beginners' list. It's asking for a
> constructor for Sdlvideo.surface, but I'm having trouble understanding
> why it needs one - surface is a C-backed type.
>
>> This is an area where we could do better than CPAN by allowing
>> non-maintainers to branch inactive projects.  (Backing the whole thing
>> with git instead of tarballs makes branching easy and lightweight -
>> the challenge then being to organize it, making the branches
>> searchable, navigable and possible to merge later).
>
> Yes, I was just thinking the same thing. I'll put something up on
> github at the least, if I get it working.

I think it is better to use the git from forge.ocamlcore.org. In
particular, there is the project "newhope":

http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/newhope/

This project is exactly the place where you can fix libraries which
upstreams are inactives.

Contact me if you need anything.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: anyone got mlgame working against the latest ocamlsdl?
@ 2009-12-07 17:11 ` Martin DeMello
From: Martin DeMello @ 2009-12-07 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
> MLGame [http://mlgame.sourceforge.net/] looks promising, but won't
> compile against the current ocamlsdl from godi. Has anyone got it
> working? Is there another nice alternative for 2D games on OCaml,
> higher-level than plain SDL or Allegro?

Fixed it, with the help of the beginners' list. It turned out to be a
simple environment issue - the makefile expected sdl to be in the same
directory as the stdlib, whereas godi puts it in pkg-lib instead. The
makefile had an undocumented workaround for this:

# ln -s `ocamlfind query sdl` /tmp/SDL/ocamlsdl

after which everything compiled happily.

martin