* global record
@ 2006-07-19 11:11 Andreas Biegert
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Andreas Biegert @ 2006-07-19 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I am developing a bioinformatics sequence analysis application which
contains about 20 modules. One of those modules, the 'Par' module,
encapsulates a record of about 30 configuration parameters needed
throughout the whole application. The parameter record is mostly
static but some values can be overwritten by command-line options. Is
there a way to make the (possibly modified) parameters record globally
accessable throughout all modules? This would be much more convenient
than having to pass the parameters record to virtually all functions
in my application. THX for helping.

Andreas

* Re: [Caml-list] global record
@ 2006-07-19 11:42 ` Pietro Abate
       [not found] ` <3d13dcfc0607190528y624e5c9eg2c45e1cb17ec3771@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pietro Abate @ 2006-07-19 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 01:11:22PM +0200, Andreas Biegert wrote:
> static but some values can be overwritten by command-line options. Is
> there a way to make the (possibly modified) parameters record globally
> accessable throughout all modules? This would be much more convenient
> than having to pass the parameters record to virtually all functions
> in my application. THX for helping.

For my application I've a module where each runtime option is a ref and
then I use the Arg module to set the proper value. Don't know if there
are better way of doing this...

:)

++ Blog: http://blog.rsise.anu.edu.au/?q=pietro
++
++ "All great truths begin as blasphemies." -George Bernard Shaw
++ Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

* Re: [Caml-list] global record
       [not found] ` <3d13dcfc0607190528y624e5c9eg2c45e1cb17ec3771@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2006-07-19 12:29   ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2006-07-19 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

Oops, forgot the caml-list.

d.

2006/7/19, David MENTRE <david.mentre@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> 2006/7/19, Andreas Biegert <andreas.biegert@googlemail.com>:
> >  Is
> > there a way to make the (possibly modified) parameters record globally
> > accessable throughout all modules?
>
> Define a global variable in the Par module, use it in the other modules.
>
> ==par.ml==
> type param = { mutable a: int; }
>
> let params = { a = 3; }
> ==
>
> ==foo.ml==
> let bar = Par.params.a
>
> let _ = Par.params.a <- bar + 1
> ==
>
> > This would be much more convenient
> > than having to pass the parameters record to virtually all functions
> > in my application.
>
> <personal taste>I find this purely functional approach much cleaner
> because you know where your global variables are read or modified
> directly by looking at function parameters.</personal taste>
>
> Best wishes,
> d.

* Re: [Caml-list] global record
       [not found] ` <3d13dcfc0607190528y624e5c9eg2c45e1cb17ec3771@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2006-07-19 14:07 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2006-07-19 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Biegert; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 01:11:22PM +0200, Andreas Biegert wrote:
> I am developing a bioinformatics sequence analysis application which
> contains about 20 modules. One of those modules, the 'Par' module,
> encapsulates a record of about 30 configuration parameters needed
> throughout the whole application. The parameter record is mostly
> static but some values can be overwritten by command-line options. Is
> there a way to make the (possibly modified) parameters record globally
> accessable throughout all modules? This would be much more convenient
> than having to pass the parameters record to virtually all functions
> in my application. THX for helping.

This is a bit ugly, but we use it in our Adwords API toolkit:

-------------------------------------------------- stdargs.mli
val username : string
val password : string
val client : string option
val token : string
val update : bool
val verbose : bool
val args : string list

-------------------------------------------------- stdargs.ml
let username = ref ""
let password = ref ""
let client = ref ""
let token = ref ""
let update = ref false
let verbose = ref false
let args = ref []

(* followed by some code which tries to read default values
 * from $HOME/.adwordsapidata -- code omitted
 *)

(* parse the command line parameters *)
let argspec = [
  "--username", Arg.Set_string username, "Adwords account username.";
  "--password", Arg.Set_string password, "Adwords account password.";
  "--client", Arg.Set_string client, "Adwords account client (optional).";
  "--token", Arg.Set_string token, "Adwords account token.";
  "--update", Arg.Set update, "Perform updates.";
  "--verbose", Arg.Set verbose, "Be verbose.";
]

let anon_fn str = args := str :: !args
let usage =
  Sys.executable_name ^ " [--options]"

let () = Arg.parse argspec anon_fn usage

let username = !username
let password = !password
let client = if !client = "" then None else Some !client
let token = !token
let update = !update
let verbose = !verbose
let args = List.rev !args

---

Then the code just stuff like:

  open Stdargs

  if verbose then printf "this is verbose mode\n"

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.

* Re: [Caml-list] global record
@ 2006-07-19 14:39   ` Yoann Padioleau
From: Yoann Padioleau @ 2006-07-19 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: Andreas Biegert, caml-list

Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 01:11:22PM +0200, Andreas Biegert wrote:
>> I am developing a bioinformatics sequence analysis application which
>> contains about 20 modules. One of those modules, the 'Par' module,
>> encapsulates a record of about 30 configuration parameters needed
>> throughout the whole application. The parameter record is mostly
>> static but some values can be overwritten by command-line options. Is
>> there a way to make the (possibly modified) parameters record globally
>> accessable throughout all modules? This would be much more convenient
>> than having to pass the parameters record to virtually all functions
>> in my application. THX for helping.
>
> This is a bit ugly, but we use it in our Adwords API toolkit:
>
> -------------------------------------------------- stdargs.mli
> val username : string

You certainly mean
 val username: string ref

> val password : string
> val client : string option
> val token : string
> val update : bool
> val verbose : bool
> val args : string list
>
> -------------------------------------------------- stdargs.ml
> let username = ref ""
> let password = ref ""
> let client = ref ""
> let token = ref ""
> let update = ref false
> let verbose = ref false
> let args = ref []

[ ... ]

--
pad

* Re: [Caml-list] global record
@ 2006-07-19 14:50     ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2006-07-19 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoann Padioleau; +Cc: Andreas Biegert, caml-list

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 04:39:32PM +0200, Yoann Padioleau wrote:
> Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> writes:
> > val username : string
>
> You certainly mean
>  val username: string ref

No, I mean:

val username : string

Rich.

--

@ 2006-07-19 15:08     ` William D. Neumann
From: William D. Neumann @ 2006-07-19 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoann Padioleau; +Cc: Richard Jones, caml-list, Andreas Biegert

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Yoann Padioleau wrote:

> You certainly mean
>
> if !verbose then printf "this is verbose mode\n"

No.  After he calls Arg parse, he does:
let username = !username
let password = !password
let client = if !client = "" then None else Some !client
let token = !token
let update = !update
let verbose = !verbose
let args = List.rev !args

and loses the refs.

William D. Neumann

---

"There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
anything with them.

Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."

         -- Neko Case

Life is unfair.  Kill yourself or get over it.
 	-- Black Box Recorder

* Re: [Caml-list] global record
@ 2006-07-19 15:09       ` Jean-Christophe Filliatre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre @ 2006-07-19 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: Yoann Padioleau, caml-list, Andreas Biegert

Richard Jones writes:
 > On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 04:39:32PM +0200, Yoann Padioleau wrote:
 > > Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> writes:
 > > > val username : string
 > >
 > > You certainly mean
 > >  val username: string ref
 >
 > No, I mean:
 >
 > val username : string

and I confirm :-)

I  use  the  same  trick  of dereferencing  the  references  used  for
command-line  parsing as  soon as  it  is done  and I  find this  very
convenient.  This can be  realized in  the very  first module  on your
ocaml link command,  and thus in whole the remaining  of your code you
do not need to use the deref operator (!) anymore.

--
Jean-Christophe

* Re: [Caml-list] global record
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-07-20  7:26 ` Jeff Henrikson
From: Jeff Henrikson @ 2006-07-20  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Biegert; +Cc: caml-list

The full generalization of this is dynamic scoping, as you may know.
There's a discussion of the implementation in emacs in the emacs
manual.  Not thread safe but can be made so with an immutable binary
tree, eg the Map module.  You could map either strings or polymorphic
variants to your config value type, probably a regular variant.  I'm not
sure how much of a performance savings polymoprhic variants would be
over strings.

For a couple of other approaches see
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2004/12/a0924032de03d517cb8cb8f2adde6c94.en.html

Jeff