* How do apply functors with module constraints?
@ 2007-10-18 23:19 Alan Falloon
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Falloon @ 2007-10-18 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am having a really hard time figuring out how to instantiate a functor
when its arguments have module constraints. Here is an example:

module type PIE = sig
   type pie
   val bake : unit -> pie
   val eat : pie -> unit
end

module type BAKER = sig
   module Pie : PIE
   val dozen : unit -> Pie.pie array
end

module type PIG = sig
   module Pie : PIE
   val feed : Pie.pie -> unit
end

(* Need a module constraint to make sure that the baker and pig are
talking about the same pie *)
module Farmer (Baker : BAKER) (Pig : PIG with module Pie = Baker.Pie) =
struct
   let feed_pigs () =
     let pies = Baker.dozen () in
       Array.iter Pig.feed pies
end

module Apple : PIE = struct
   type pie = Pie of string
   let bake () = Pie "apple"
   let eat (Pie "apple") = ()
end

module Bob : BAKER = struct
   module Pie = Apple
   let dozen () = Array.init 13 (fun _ -> Pie.bake ())
end

module Daisy : PIG = struct
   module Pie = Apple
   let feed p = Pie.eat p; print_endline "OINK!"
end

module Joe = Farmer(Bob)(Daisy) (*BOOM*)
let () = Joe.feed_pigs()

However, this fails to compile because when I try to make module Joe
because Bob.Pie and Daisy.Pie aren't the same. Fair enough, thats what
abstraction is for, however I can't figure out the syntax to instantiate
Joe! I tried this:

module Joe = Farmer(Bob)(Daisy:PIG with module Pie=Bob.Pie)

But then I get a syntax error (?)
File "bar.ml", line 39, characters 30-31:
Syntax error: ')' expected
File "bar.ml", line 39, characters 24-25:
This '(' might be unmatched

Now I'm fresh out of ideas.

Thanks
Alan Falloon

* Re: [Caml-list] How do apply functors with module constraints?
@ 2007-10-19  0:32 ` Julien Moutinho
From: Julien Moutinho @ 2007-10-19  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 07:19:05PM -0400, Alan Falloon wrote:
> I am having a really hard time figuring out how to instantiate a functor
> when its arguments have module constraints. Here is an example:
> [...]
>
> However, this fails to compile because when I try to make module Joe
> because Bob.Pie and Daisy.Pie aren't the same. Fair enough, thats what
> abstraction is for, however I can't figure out the syntax to instantiate
> Joe!
>
> [...]
>
> Now I'm fresh out of ideas.

Here is a new one:

% cat fapie.ml
module type PIE =
  sig
    type pie
    val bake : unit -> pie
    val eat : pie -> unit
  end

module type BAKER =
  functor (Pie: PIE) ->
  sig
    val dozen : unit -> Pie.pie array
  end

module type PIG =
  functor (Pie: PIE) ->
  sig
    val feed : Pie.pie -> unit
  end

module Farmer
  (Pie : PIE)
  (Baker : BAKER)
  (Pig : PIG) =
  struct
    module Baker = Baker(Pie)
    module Pig = Pig(Pie)
    let feed_pigs () =
      let pies = Baker.dozen () in
        Array.iter Pig.feed pies
  end

module Apple : PIE =
  struct
    type pie = Pie of string
    let bake () = Pie "apple"
    let eat (Pie "apple") = ()
  end

module Bob
  (Pie : PIE) =
  struct
    let dozen () = Array.init 13 (fun _ -> Pie.bake ())
  end

module Daisy
  (Pie : PIE) =
  struct
    let feed p = Pie.eat p; print_endline "OINK!"
  end

module Joe = Farmer(Apple)(Bob)(Daisy)
let () = Joe.feed_pigs()

% ocaml fapie.ml
File "fapie.ml", line 36, characters 12-30:
Warning P: this pattern-matching is not exhaustive.
Here is an example of a value that is not matched:
Pie ""
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!
OINK!

Hope this helps,
  Julien.

* Re: [Caml-list] How do apply functors with module constraints?
@ 2007-10-19  8:20 ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2007-10-19  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Falloon; +Cc: caml-list

Excerpts from Alan Falloon's message of Fri Oct 19 01:19:05 +0200 2007:
> I am having a really hard time figuring out how to instantiate a functor
> when its arguments have module constraints. Here is an example:

You  can  also  expose  that Bob is an apple pie baker, and Daisy an apple pie
eater:

module Bob : BAKER with module Pie = Apple = ...
module Daisy : PIG with module Pie = Apple = ...

HTH,

--
Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai

* Re: [Caml-list] How do apply functors with module constraints?
@ 2007-10-19  8:21 ` Andreas Rossberg
From: Andreas Rossberg @ 2007-10-19  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Falloon; +Cc: caml-list

On Oct 19, 2007, at 01.19h, Alan Falloon wrote:

> I am having a really hard time figuring out how to instantiate a
> functor when its arguments have module constraints. Here is an
> example:
>
> module type PIE = sig
>   type pie
>   val bake : unit -> pie
>   val eat : pie -> unit
> end
>
> module type BAKER = sig
>   module Pie : PIE
>   val dozen : unit -> Pie.pie array
> end
>
> module type PIG = sig
>   module Pie : PIE
>   val feed : Pie.pie -> unit
> end
>
> (* Need a module constraint to make sure that the baker and pig are
> talking about the same pie *)
> module Farmer (Baker : BAKER) (Pig : PIG with module Pie =
> Baker.Pie) = struct
>   let feed_pigs () =
>     let pies = Baker.dozen () in
>       Array.iter Pig.feed pies
> end
>
> module Apple : PIE = struct
>   type pie = Pie of string
>   let bake () = Pie "apple"
>   let eat (Pie "apple") = ()
> end
>

> module Joe = Farmer(Bob)(Daisy) (*BOOM*)
> let () = Joe.feed_pigs()
>

> However, this fails to compile because when I try to make module
> Joe because Bob.Pie and Daisy.Pie aren't the same. Fair enough,
> thats what abstraction is for, however I can't figure out the
> syntax to instantiate Joe! I tried this:
>
> module Joe = Farmer(Bob)(Daisy:PIG with module Pie=Bob.Pie)

As you noted, abstraction prevents the types in the Pie submodules
from being equivalent. And there is no way to retract that
abstraction later - it wouldn't be abstraction otherwise. So you will
not be able to apply Joe as you tried. This is not a question of syntax.

The solution is to avoid the over-abstraction and keep the Pie
submodules transparent. Try:

> module Bob : (BAKER with module Pie = Apple) = struct
>   module Pie = Apple
>   let dozen () = Array.init 13 (fun _ -> Pie.bake ())
> end
>
> module Daisy : (PIG with module Pie = Apple) = struct
>   module Pie = Apple
>   let feed p = Pie.eat p; print_endline "OINK!"
> end

- Andreas

* Re: How do apply functors with module constraints?
@ 2007-10-22 14:54   ` Alan Falloon
From: Alan Falloon @ 2007-10-22 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Thanks for all the responses. I had a mistake with my mental model of
modules, I was treating the 'with' statement as a declaration to aid
type checking instead of seeing it as syntax for deriving a new
signature (that didn't match in my case) from an existing one.

I have started using the style Julien suggested for my code. Again,
thanks for the help.