* RE: [Caml-list] Foreign function interface generator with example s
@ 2001-04-23 10:32 Dave Berry
From: Dave Berry @ 2001-04-23 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeanmarc.eber, David Fox; +Cc: caml-list

Curiousity impels me to ask: How does David's system compare with CamlIDL?
Is there a need for an FFI interface at a lower-level than CamlIDL?  I'm
interested because I've worked on FFIs for ML in the past, and we gradually
moved more and more towards IDL-based solutions.  So I'd be interested to
hear what limitations people see with this approach (or with the particular
CamlIDL implementation, as I hope to use that some day).

Dave.

From: David Fox @ 2001-04-24  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Berry; +Cc: jeanmarc.eber, David Fox, caml-list

I was not aware of CamlIDL, or even of IDL itself until just now.  The
major difference I can see from a quick look at the docs is that the
IDL system converts ML data structures into C data structures and back
again for every function invocation.  Mine simply allocates a string
of the appropriate size for each structure and leaves it in there.