* [Caml-list] lablgtk2: cannot find the Pango module?
@ 2013-07-15 13:38 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-07-15 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Hello,

I'm trying to compile the gtk version of Unison, and I have an error
about not finding Pango:

ocamlopt -g -I lwt -I ubase -I system -I fsmonitor -I fsmonitor/linux -I fsmonitor/windows -I system/generic -I lwt/generic -ccopt -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -I +lablgtk2 -c /Users/schmitta/src/unison/trunk/src/uigtk2.ml
File "/Users/schmitta/src/unison/trunk/src/uigtk2.ml", line 81, characters 26-48:
Error: Unbound module Pango

The strange thing is that when I launch the lablgtk2 toplevel, I can do
a "open Pango" with no error.

I'm using an opam-installed version of lablgtk2 on OS X (with a gtk from
homebrew), and I can see a pango.cmx file in the place pointed by
ocamlfind. I can also build some other gtk-based applications such as
Why3. Could someone please tell me if the compilation options above are
correct?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: [Caml-list] lablgtk2: cannot find the Pango module?
@ 2013-07-16  7:37 ` Thomas Gazagnaire
From: Thomas Gazagnaire @ 2013-07-16  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Caml List

> ocamlopt -g -I lwt -I ubase -I system -I fsmonitor -I fsmonitor/linux -I fsmonitor/windows -I system/generic -I lwt/generic -ccopt -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -I +lablgtk2 -c /Users/schmitta/src/unison/trunk/src/uigtk2.ml
> File "/Users/schmitta/src/unison/trunk/src/uigtk2.ml", line 81, characters 26-48:
> Error: Unbound module Pango
>
> The strange thing is that when I launch the lablgtk2 toplevel, I can do
> a "open Pango" with no error.

I guess the -I +lablgtk2 does not use the right path. Under OPAM, files are installed in `opam config var lib`/labgtk (`opam config var labgtk:lib` in master). Or you can use the ocamlfind installation path: `ocamlfind query lablgtk`.

Thomas

@ 2013-07-16 19:21   ` Adrien Nader
From: Adrien Nader @ 2013-07-16 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gazagnaire; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, Caml List

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013, Thomas Gazagnaire wrote:
> > ocamlopt -g -I lwt -I ubase -I system -I fsmonitor -I fsmonitor/linux -I fsmonitor/windows -I system/generic -I lwt/generic -ccopt -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -I +lablgtk2 -c /Users/schmitta/src/unison/trunk/src/uigtk2.ml
> > File "/Users/schmitta/src/unison/trunk/src/uigtk2.ml", line 81, characters 26-48:
> > Error: Unbound module Pango
> >
> > The strange thing is that when I launch the lablgtk2 toplevel, I can do
> > a "open Pango" with no error.
>
> I guess the -I +lablgtk2 does not use the right path. Under OPAM, files are installed in `opam config var lib`/labgtk (`opam config var labgtk:lib` in master). Or you can use the ocamlfind installation path: `ocamlfind query lablgtk`.

I know nothing about mac os x, opam and unison but nowadays lablgtk uses
ocamlfind. Maybe unison needs to be updated.

Lablgtk without ocamlfind might work but I'd say that if it breaks, you
get to keep the pieces.
(plus, I'm a member of the AANUOO: Association Against Non-Usage Of
Ocamlfind :-) )

--
Adrien Nader

* Re: [Caml-list] lablgtk2: cannot find the Pango module?
@ 2013-07-17 13:26     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-07-17 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrien Nader; +Cc: Thomas Gazagnaire, Caml List

adrien@notk.org writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013, Thomas Gazagnaire wrote:
>> > ocamlopt -g -I lwt -I ubase -I system -I fsmonitor -I fsmonitor/linux -I fsmonitor/windows -I system/generic -I lwt/generic -ccopt -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -I +lablgtk2 -c /Users/schmitta/src/unison/trunk/src/uigtk2.ml
>> > File "/Users/schmitta/src/unison/trunk/src/uigtk2.ml", line 81, characters 26-48:
>> > Error: Unbound module Pango
>> >
>> > The strange thing is that when I launch the lablgtk2 toplevel, I can do
>> > a "open Pango" with no error.
>>
>> I guess the -I +lablgtk2 does not use the right path. Under OPAM, files are installed in `opam config var lib`/labgtk (`opam config var labgtk:lib` in master). Or you can use the ocamlfind installation path: `ocamlfind query lablgtk`.
>
> I know nothing about mac os x, opam and unison but nowadays lablgtk uses
> ocamlfind. Maybe unison needs to be updated.
>
> Lablgtk without ocamlfind might work but I'd say that if it breaks, you
> get to keep the pieces.
> (plus, I'm a member of the AANUOO: Association Against Non-Usage Of
> Ocamlfind :-) )

Thank you Thomas and Adrien, using ocamlfind made things work. I'll see
what is the best way to propagate these building changes upstream.

Alan