* Building a universal binary on OS X?
@ 2008-05-19 13:07 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2008-05-19 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

Is this (http://alan.petitepomme.net/cwn/2007.09.18.html#1) the
recommended way to build a universal binary on OS X? (To summarize:
use a PPC version of ocamlopt and use lipo to glue the binaries
together.)

Thanks,

Alan Schmitt

* Re: [Caml-list] Building a universal binary on OS X?
@ 2008-05-23  8:41 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2008-05-23  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 19 mai 08, at 15:07, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is this (http://alan.petitepomme.net/cwn/2007.09.18.html#1) the
> recommended way to build a universal binary on OS X? (To summarize:
> use a PPC version of ocamlopt and use lipo to glue the binaries
> together.)

I've realized I may not have given enough details as to what I want to
do here, so here they are.

My goal is to be able to compile the OS GUI version of Unison on a
single machine. Right now, using my intel-based notebook, I'm able to
compile a version that runs both on 10.4 and 10.5, but only on intel.

(By the way, compiling ocaml to manage this was not obvious. Here is
how to do it using godi, thanks to Gerd Stolpmann:
- net the following in godi.conf
OCAML_CONF_ARGS=-cc "gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.4"
- rebuild godi-ocaml-src and godi-ocaml
Then I can specify in Xcode that I'm targetting 10.4 as my minimum
version, and I don't get any error when linking against the ocaml
libraries.)

The next step is to be able to build Universal Binaries versions of
the ocaml libraries, so that I can tell Xcode to target both
architectures. This implies that ocaml should be able to cross-compile
to PPC, which I don't know if it can do.

I think I remember an old message addressing this, but I have not been
able to find it.

If anyone could point me to the right direction, it would be very
helpful.

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: Building a universal binary on OS X?
@ 2008-05-24  7:31   ` Michel Schinz
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Michel Schinz @ 2008-05-24  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

[...]

> My goal is to be able to compile the OS GUI version of Unison on a
> single machine. Right now, using my intel-based notebook, I'm able to
> compile a version that runs both on 10.4 and 10.5, but only on intel.

[...]

> I think I remember an old message addressing this, but I have not been
> able to find it.

You might be referring to this message:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.caml.general/38930

The cute trick consists in building a PPC version of OCaml on a PPC
machine, and then copying it over to your Intel machine. It will run
fine (albeit slowly) under Rosetta, and generate PPC executables.

Michel.

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Building a universal binary on OS X?
@ 2008-05-25  7:53     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2008-05-25  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 24 mai 08, at 09:31, Michel Schinz wrote:

>> My goal is to be able to compile the OS GUI version of Unison on a
>> single machine. Right now, using my intel-based notebook, I'm able to
>> compile a version that runs both on 10.4 and 10.5, but only on intel.
>
> [...]
>
>> I think I remember an old message addressing this, but I have not
>> been
>> able to find it.
>
> You might be referring to this message:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.caml.general/38930
>
> The cute trick consists in building a PPC version of OCaml on a PPC
> machine, and then copying it over to your Intel machine. It will run
> fine (albeit slowly) under Rosetta, and generate PPC executables.

Ah, thank you, this seems to be it. Just one small additional question
about this: where should I put the supporting libraries (the ocaml
directory with libunix.a for instance), and how can I make sure the
ppc version of ocamlopt find these libraries, and not the i386 ones?

Thanks again,

Alan

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Building a universal binary on OS X?
@ 2008-05-25 11:39     ` Andres Varon
From: Andres Varon @ 2008-05-25 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Schinz; +Cc: caml-list

On May 24, 2008, at 3:31 AM, Michel Schinz wrote:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> My goal is to be able to compile the OS GUI version of Unison on a
>> single machine. Right now, using my intel-based notebook, I'm able to
>> compile a version that runs both on 10.4 and 10.5, but only on intel.
>
> [...]
>
>> I think I remember an old message addressing this, but I have not
>> been
>> able to find it.
>
> You might be referring to this message:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.caml.general/38930
>
> The cute trick consists in building a PPC version of OCaml on a PPC
> machine, and then copying it over to your Intel machine. It will run
> fine (albeit slowly) under Rosetta, and generate PPC executables.

Actually you can cross compile it in your intel mac, this is what I
use to configure it:

./configure -cc "gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -arch ppc -isysroot /
Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk" -prefix /opt/ocaml/3.10.2/tiger/ppc -
host powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0

Then use the standard make world; make opt;  ....

Andres

@ 2008-05-26  4:43     ` Nathaniel Gray
From: Nathaniel Gray @ 2008-05-26  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Schinz; +Cc: caml-list

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Michel Schinz <Michel.Schinz@epfl.ch> wrote:
> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> My goal is to be able to compile the OS GUI version of Unison on a
>> single machine. Right now, using my intel-based notebook, I'm able to
>> compile a version that runs both on 10.4 and 10.5, but only on intel.
>
> [...]
>
>> I think I remember an old message addressing this, but I have not been
>> able to find it.
>
> You might be referring to this message:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.caml.general/38930
>
> The cute trick consists in building a PPC version of OCaml on a PPC
> machine, and then copying it over to your Intel machine. It will run
> fine (albeit slowly) under Rosetta, and generate PPC executables.

See also:
http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=4303

Cheers,
-n8