* [Caml-list] Is there any numpy / pandas like library in OCaml?
@ 2015-10-17 14:55 Dan Stark
From: Dan Stark @ 2015-10-17 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

NumPy and Pandas are quite famous in scientific computing with Python.

I am just wondering whether OCaml has such a library?

Does Jane Street provide any?

Thanks

* Re: [Caml-list] Is there any numpy / pandas like library in OCaml?
@ 2015-10-17 15:11 ` Tao Stein
From: Tao Stein @ 2015-10-17 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use OCaml GSL ... https://opam.ocaml.org/packages/gsl/gsl.1.18.5/

And am happy with it, for access to the BLAS etc

Tao Stein / 石濤

@ 2015-10-17 15:23   ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2015-10-17 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Besides the GSL bindings there is also Lacaml, which interfaces a
considerable part of BLAS/LAPACK and provides many additional vector
and matrix functions: https://github.com/mmottl/lacaml

Regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Is there any numpy / pandas like library in OCaml?
@ 2015-10-17 15:37     ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2015-10-17 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

There also this library

https://github.com/hammerlab/oml

(never used it myself)

Best,

Daniel

* Re: [Caml-list] Is there any numpy / pandas like library in OCaml?
@ 2015-10-18  7:12       ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2015-10-18  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Nils Becker @ 2015-10-19 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 17/10/15 16:55, Dan Stark wrote:
> Hi
>
> NumPy and Pandas are quite famous in scientific computing with Python.
>
> I am just wondering whether OCaml has such a library?

there is also this:

http://akabe.github.io/slap/

which implements matrices whose dimensions are encoded in the type.

fwiw, for special functions one can interface to c libraries relatively
easily using ctypes. e.g. Rmath has a lot.

hdf5 support has just arrived,
https://opam.ocaml.org/packages/hdf5/hdf5.0.1/

i too would absolutely love to have something like numpy and something
like pandas in ocaml. the features i would want from ocaml-numpy are a
nice compact array slicing syntax, something like broadcasting, indexing
of arrays with int arrays or lists, and some magic that knows how to
choose the appropriate BLAS routines for common matrix operations. for a
pandas equivalent, flexible indexing would be the most important thing.
and printing a nice readable short output on screen with minimal effort.