* New "ocaml-developer" forum (?)
@ 2007-03-07 20:13 Martin Jambon
From: Martin Jambon @ 2007-03-07 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear all,

For a long time I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a forum
for "OCaml software developers", i.e. focused on the practical use of
OCaml and its interaction with other existing technologies. It means that
discussions that are not centered on the OCaml language may not be off-topic.

Let me know (privately or not) if you would be interested. I think that
this plus a wiki are important to help programmers find the right tool
for a job or the right piece of documentation without having to subscribe
to the mailing-lists of each existing library or reading all the manuals.

I reserved a Google group named ocaml-developer:

  http://groups.google.com/group/ocaml-developer/

I may just kill it if people are not thrilled by the idea, or prefer
another name or another host than Google Groups.

Martin

--
Martin Jambon
http://martin.jambon.free.fr

* Re: [Caml-list] New "ocaml-developer" forum (?)
@ 2007-03-07 21:11 ` ls-ocaml-developer-2006
From: ls-ocaml-developer-2006 @ 2007-03-07 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Martin Jambon <martin.jambon@ens-lyon.org> writes:

> For a long time I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a forum
> for "OCaml software developers", i.e. focused on the practical use of
> OCaml and its interaction with other existing technologies. It means that
> discussions that are not centered on the OCaml language may not be off-topic.

While I didn't have the impression that ocaml related discussion, even
if not centering on the language definition, were OT here, I haven't
read the list charta for a long time. So it is for others to decide on
this, personally I never felt the need for separate forums (there are
also com.lamg,functional, comp.lang.haskell and comp.lang.ml where I
can discuss a wide range of topics, so that might explain why I never
felt it).

It would be upt to others to formulate that need.

> Let me know (privately or not) if you would be interested. I think that
> this plus a wiki are important to help programmers find the right tool
> for a job or the right piece of documentation without having to subscribe
> to the mailing-lists of each existing library or reading all the manuals.
>
> I reserved a Google group named ocaml-developer:
>
>   http://groups.google.com/group/ocaml-developer/
>
> I may just kill it if people are not thrilled by the idea, or prefer
> another name or another host than Google Groups.

Probably I'd suscribe to another list/forum, but certainly not to a
Google Group or a web based forum. Archiving (at _my_ workstation) is
absolutely atrocious with those and I don't want to produce content
that is locked into Google and with which Google will do *their*
business for the rest of time.

May I suggest either a miling list, or a usenet news group from the alt hierarchie?

Regards -- Markus

* Re: [Caml-list] New "ocaml-developer" forum (?)
@ 2007-03-07 21:40   ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2007-03-07 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

ls-ocaml-developer-2006@m-e-leypold.de wrote:

> Probably I'd suscribe to another list/forum, but certainly not to a
> Google Group or a web based forum.

I am a member of one so called "Google Group" and from the
way I see it, it it just another mailing list. I even subscribed
to it by sending email to group-subscribe@google.com.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo
C offers you enough rope to hang yourself. C++ offers a fully equipped
firing squad, a last cigarette and a blindfold.

* Re: [Caml-list] New "ocaml-developer" forum (?)
@ 2007-03-07 21:46   ` Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2007-03-07 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ls-ocaml-developer-2006; +Cc: caml-list

Google Groups emails all posts, a digest or nothing. It's up to you.

In other words, it functions just like a mailing list but with the
option to post and browse online.

http://wagerlabs.com/