* build, distribution, data and metadata
@ 2008-01-31  8:57 Cristian Baboi
From: Cristian Baboi @ 2008-01-31  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello!

I joined this list in an attempt to learn OCAML.
I don't yet know the language, the libraries or the building and
distribution policies.
In these two days since I subscribed to the list I've seen a long
discussion about the lack of standards.

I have a few remarks regarding these matters and I thought to share them:

- metadata is just data
- the make files are written in a well defined language
- rumors say ocaml is good at writing translators
- make files are not enough
- make files might not be portable
- installing is just a form of copying software from one environment to
another
- I don't like the mess created by the MS Windows Registry and the plague
of linux configuration files
- I like the freepascal approach http://www.freepascal.org/advantage.var:

"No Makefiles Unlike most programming languages, Pascal does not need
Makefiles. You can save huge amounts of time, the compiler just figures
out itself which files need to be recompiled."

"Distribution independence (Linux) As a result of this, software compiled
by the Linux version of Free Pascal runs on any Linux distribution, making
it much, much, easier to make your software support multiple Linux
distributions."

So, my suggestion is to agree on a *language* in which to express the
build/distribution/whatever and then implement it the best way you can.

Sorry if any of the above doesn't make sense to you.

________ Information from NOD32 ________
This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Servers.
  part000.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com

* Re: [Caml-list] build, distribution, data and metadata
@ 2008-01-31  9:28 ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2008-01-31  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristian Baboi; +Cc: caml-list

Excerpts from Cristian Baboi's message of Thu Jan 31 09:57:27 +0100 2008:
> Hello!
Hello!

> I joined this list in an attempt to learn OCAML.
> I don't yet know the language, the libraries or the building and
> distribution policies.
> In these two days since I subscribed to the list I've seen a long
> discussion about the lack of standards.

Last two days were exceptionally very loaded.

> I have a few remarks regarding these matters and I thought to share them:
>
> - metadata is just data
Yes, but this generally means data about data.

> - the make files are written in a well defined language
Considering GNU make, BSD make, pmake, bmake, omake... I would say no.

> - rumors say ocaml is good at writing translators
That's not rumor, that's the truth :)

[...]

> - I like the freepascal approach http://www.freepascal.org/advantage.var:
>
> "No Makefiles Unlike most programming languages, Pascal does not need
> Makefiles. You can save huge amounts of time, the compiler just figures
> out itself which files need to be recompiled."

That's why ocamlbuild has been created, to make Makefiles useless.

> So, my suggestion is to agree on a *language* in which to express the
> build/distribution/whatever and then implement it the best way you can.

That's OCaml itself using the ocamlbuild API.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Caml-list] build, distribution, data and metadata
@ 2008-01-31  9:55   ` Cristian Baboi
From: Cristian Baboi @ 2008-01-31  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Pouillard; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:28:21 +0200, Nicolas Pouillard
<nicolas.pouillard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Cristian Baboi's message of Thu Jan 31 09:57:27 +0100 2008:

>> - the make files are written in a well defined language

> Considering GNU make, BSD make, pmake, bmake, omake... I would say no.

Then why I'm not seeing files like these:

- Make.GNUmake
- Make.BSDmake
- Make.pmake
- Make.bmake
- Make.omake

like I see filename.pas and filename.c ?

@ 2008-02-01 22:56   ` Aleksey Nogin
From: Aleksey Nogin @ 2008-02-01 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List; +Cc: Nicolas Pouillard, Bünzli Daniel

On 31.01.2008 01:28, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:

>> - the make files are written in a well defined language
> Considering GNU make, BSD make, pmake, bmake, omake... I would say no.

IMHO it would be improper to consider OMake as being make-like and group
it together with various make variants. While some very basic elements
of OMake syntax are made to resemble make in order to facilitate
learning OMake for those familiar with make, but in most respects it is
a lot closer to, say, ocamlbuild than to make.

Of course, this is just a biased opinion of an OMake co-author ;-)

Aleksey

* Re: [Caml-list] build, distribution, data and metadata
@ 2008-02-02 11:10     ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2008-02-02 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: daniel.buenzli