* Problems with Godi and Expat under Lucid Lynx
@ 2010-07-01  9:34 Till Crueger
From: Till Crueger @ 2010-07-01  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I am trying to rebuild ocaml-expat in Godi after upgrading to Lucid Lynx
and have encountered some problems. The build process in the Godi console
fails with the message:

> ===> expat not found
>      Consider adding GODI_BASEPKG_EXPAT=yes to godi.conf
> Error: Exec error: File
> /opt/godi/build/conf/conf-expat/./../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk, line 1022:
> Command returned with non-zero exit code

I hade some look at the problem and found the following. The configure
script from godi is trying to compile a small c-program to test for the
existing of libexpat. The program compiles fine and even runs, when I
execute it directly. However the directories do not match the patterns
desired by the configure script.

All development files are laid out in the following way under Lucid Lynx:

Headers of expat in:
/usr/lib/expat.h

Libraries:
/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
/lib/libexpat.so.1 -> /lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
/usr/lib/libexpat.a
/usr/lib/libexpat.so -> /lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2

running ldd on the binary tells me, that the libexpat.so.1 from the
directory /lib is used in this program. The script however expects the
libdir to be /usr/lib (which would work with one of the links). Because of
this mismatche it keeps on trying other directories and eventually fails.

Any ideas on how to work around this in a simple way? Right now my
solution will probably be to install an aditional copy of libexpat under
/opt and use that one for ocaml. However I don't really want to keep
duplicate packages around all the time, just to make it work.

On the other hand I am not really happy with the way the expat binding
works in Ocaml, so I might just switch to another XML parser for my code
soon. Any good suggestions for a simple to use XML parser library for
OCaml?

Thanks,
   Till

* Re: [Caml-list] Problems with Godi and Expat under Lucid Lynx
@ 2010-07-01 12:35 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2010-07-01 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Crueger; +Cc: caml-list

Am Donnerstag, den 01.07.2010, 11:34 +0200 schrieb Till Crueger:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to rebuild ocaml-expat in Godi after upgrading to Lucid Lynx
> and have encountered some problems. The build process in the Godi console
> fails with the message:
>
> > ===> expat not found
> >      Consider adding GODI_BASEPKG_EXPAT=yes to godi.conf
> > Error: Exec error: File
> > /opt/godi/build/conf/conf-expat/./../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk, line 1022:
> > Command returned with non-zero exit code
>
> I hade some look at the problem and found the following. The configure
> script from godi is trying to compile a small c-program to test for the
> existing of libexpat. The program compiles fine and even runs, when I
> execute it directly. However the directories do not match the patterns
> desired by the configure script.
>
> All development files are laid out in the following way under Lucid Lynx:
>
> Headers of expat in:
> /usr/lib/expat.h
>
> Libraries:
> /lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
> /lib/libexpat.so.1 -> /lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
> /usr/lib/libexpat.a
> /usr/lib/libexpat.so -> /lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2
>
> running ldd on the binary tells me, that the libexpat.so.1 from the
> directory /lib is used in this program. The script however expects the
> libdir to be /usr/lib (which would work with one of the links). Because of
> this mismatche it keeps on trying other directories and eventually fails.

Well, maybe it should also look into /lib when it finds the .h
in /usr/include.

> Any ideas on how to work around this in a simple way? Right now my
> solution will probably be to install an aditional copy of libexpat under
> /opt and use that one for ocaml. However I don't really want to keep
> duplicate packages around all the time, just to make it work.

Just configure it manually:

For the package conf-expat set the variables:

GODI_EXPAT_INCDIR = /usr/include
GODI_EXPAT_LIBDIR = /lib

(type 'c' to set this after going to the conf-expat package).

Gerd

> On the other hand I am not really happy with the way the expat binding
> works in Ocaml, so I might just switch to another XML parser for my code
> soon. Any good suggestions for a simple to use XML parser library for
> OCaml?
>
> Thanks,
>    Till

Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714

* Re: [Caml-list] Problems with Godi and Expat under Lucid Lynx
@ 2010-07-01 12:41 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2010-07-01 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Crueger; +Cc: caml-list

Should also be fixed now in conf-expat.