* A manual...
@ 2001-01-13 22:20 Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2001-01-13 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi there! I'm a new Ocaml user and enthusiast. I am studying
programming languages and compilation, and the courses' official
programming tool is Ocaml. Now, I would like to learn more about the
interpretation / compilation of non-Von Neumann-like languages, such
as lambda-calculi and logic languages. These languages are not
mentioned in the c Can anyone point me to some online resource on the
use of Ocaml to build interpreters / compilers for such languages?

One more curiosity: what language is Ocaml written in?

Alex

* Re: A manual...
@ 2001-01-16 13:23 ` David Mentre
From: David Mentre @ 2001-01-16 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta; +Cc: caml-list

"Alex Baretta" <alex@baretta.com> writes:

> lambda-calculi and logic languages. These languages are not mentioned
> in the c Can anyone point me to some online resource on the use of
> Ocaml to build interpreters / compilers for such languages?

Regarding Caml (that I think falls in your category of lambda-calculi
language), you'll find a research report describing the implementation
of Caml in Caml (be aware, it is quite hard to read) :

Xavier Leroy. The zinc experiment: an economical implementation of the
 ML language. Technical report 117, INRIA, 1990.A
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/publi/ZINC.ps.gz

Otherwise, look at papers of team Contraintes, Cristal, Moscova (and
others I've not in memory right now) at INRIA. They use OCaml for
various languages, type-system and compilers.

> One more curiosity: what language is Ocaml written in?

In Ocaml, except for the Garbage Collector and the bytecode runtime
environment, both written in C. The OCaml Language is unable to express
some low-level systems.

But you could have found it by yourself looking at online source code:
  http://camlcvs.inria.fr/cgi-bin/cvsweb.out/ocaml/

d.
--
 David.Mentre@inria.fr -- http://www.irisa.fr/prive/dmentre/