* OSR - Three Admin Questions
@ 2008-03-06 12:51 Peter Gregory
From: Peter Gregory @ 2008-03-06 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

I've been following all of the OSR discussion with great interest.  I've
currently got three questions about it though:

1.  How is delivery of our "community ocaml" going to work?

2.  Sadly I couldn't make the Paris meet, are there going to be followup
meetings?

3.  How do we decide on a consensus for an OSR proposal?

Personally, I think the answers to these questions are linked.  A system
that I would like to see is something like: a community release every
six months, meetings a couple of months before release, final decisions
made about which suggestions make the release decided in the meeting.  I
think it would be better to decide in a face-to-face setting which
proposals are best, as a mailing list just leads to endless forking of
conversation and drift from original topics.

Regards,
Peter.

* Re: OSR - Three Admin Questions
@ 2008-03-06 14:59 ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2008-03-06 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 06-03-2008, Peter Gregory <Peter.Gregory@cis.strath.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been following all of the OSR discussion with great interest.  I've
> currently got three questions about it though:
>
> 1.  How is delivery of our "community ocaml" going to work?
>
> 2.  Sadly I couldn't make the Paris meet, are there going to be followup
> meetings?

Maybe next year. It will depend on people who are interested that this
meeting happen again.

> 3.  How do we decide on a consensus for an OSR proposal?

Sometimes ago, i propose to put the OSR on vote at a certain date. The
answer was something like: "better use the IEEE (or W3C, don't remember)
way to do: talk until a consensus happens".

> Personally, I think the answers to these questions are linked.  A system
> that I would like to see is something like: a community release every
> six months, meetings a couple of months before release, final decisions
> made about which suggestions make the release decided in the meeting.  I
> think it would be better to decide in a face-to-face setting which
> proposals are best, as a mailing list just leads to endless forking of
> conversation and drift from original topics.

This could be an idea. I am not sure that people can end up with a
solution however -- even with a meeting face to face. To my mind a
solution like "put everything there (including test + kind of build
system), if it builds and pass all the test, this is good for release".
If something fails, just remove it. If a lot of things fails, don't
release.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall