From: Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: What does Jane Street use/want for an IDE? What about you?
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:02:02 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

On 24-10-2008, Maxence Guesdon <maxence.guesdon@inria.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:53:19 +0200
> "Baudet David" <dafide18@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We didn't answer at all question on ocamlwizard, but I have read it (and I
>> am sure, Mohamed too) and I wil continue every weeks to read caml list...
>> and I hope this developper documentation answer for me.
>
> That's how topcameleon is compiled, asking the user where the compiled
> sources of ocaml are located.
>
> Having the compiled sources of ocaml is not a problem for an ocaml
> developer, and the ocamlwizard users are ocaml developers, aren't they ?
>
> For users of pre-compiled packages (debian, etc.), this is not a problem
> for the packagers to have ocamlwizard compiled using the sources of ocaml
> used for the ocaml package.

I don't agree, people should take care of the license of the file they
use from OCaml source. You cannot link with everything inside the
source, except if you acknowledge in some way the license of this
source.

A lot of code from the compiler is Q Public license. People should be
aware of this point.

To be short, people using GPL for their code should include the
following term:

 As a special exception, you have permission to link this program
 with the FOO library and distribute executables, as long as you
 follow the requirements of the GNU GPL in regard to all of the
 software in the executable aside from FOO.

(when using module FOO).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QPL

However, I agree that embeding source of ocaml inside another project is
the worse thing you can do.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall