* OCaml projects on github, hard to find?
@ 2010-09-17  8:43 Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2010-09-17  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello all,

Before anyone claimed that I am not honest, let me be clear: I am one of
the admin of OCaml Forge, so I am biased.

So here is my problem, from time to time I found interesting OCaml
projects on github. But some are really hard to find. Let me take some
simple examples, using google search and small projects:

project URL, description, google request -> n° page where the first entry is

* http://github.com/polazarus/oclock, Access to POSIX  clock_gettime,
 "ocaml clock" -> 7+
* http://github.com/thelema/tornadocaml, xor-based FEC,
 "ocaml tornado" -> 7+

This is not the case for everything, (e.g. ocaml-appengine,
ocaml-orm-sqlite, ocaml-redis et al are ranked 1st page).

Even if these projects are small, it would be great that they did a
single release and to be referenced on the Hump, for example.

N.B. modifying google request can improve ranking e.g. "ocaml xor fec"
or "ocaml fec".

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

p.s.: if someone can volunteer to create a small application that
automatically fetch new projects/news from project on github/google
code/whatever, I will be happy to add it to planet.ocamlcore.org.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml projects on github, hard to find?
@ 2010-09-17  8:52 ` Martin DeMello
From: Martin DeMello @ 2010-09-17  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Le Gall; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Before anyone claimed that I am not honest, let me be clear: I am one of
> the admin of OCaml Forge, so I am biased.
>
> So here is my problem, from time to time I found interesting OCaml
> projects on github. But some are really hard to find. Let me take some
> simple examples, using google search and small projects:

Could OCamlForge be set up to do one-click read-only mirroring of
interesting github projects?

martin

* Re: OCaml projects on github, hard to find?
@ 2010-09-17  9:04   ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2010-09-17  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 17-09-2010, Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Before anyone claimed that I am not honest, let me be clear: I am one of
>> the admin of OCaml Forge, so I am biased.
>>
>> So here is my problem, from time to time I found interesting OCaml
>> projects on github. But some are really hard to find. Let me take some
>> simple examples, using google search and small projects:
>
> Could OCamlForge be set up to do one-click read-only mirroring of
> interesting github projects?

That is a possible project:
https://forge.ocamlcore.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=604&group_id=1&atid=102

The main problem is that we need to create this kind of function. Most
of the forge around doesn't provide an "easy coordination" with other
forges. But I think, it is feasible.

I would do it myself, but I am pretty busy with other (I hope) important
projects like OASIS-DB. If someone can provide me a solution for this, I
will be happy to put it on forge.ocamlcore.org.

A nice first step, could be to just mirror the git repository from
github.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: OCaml projects on github, hard to find?
@ 2010-09-20 15:30     ` Mike Lin
From: Mike Lin @ 2010-09-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net> wrote:
>> Could OCamlForge be set up to do one-click read-only mirroring of
>> interesting github projects?
>>

> That is a possible project:
> https://forge.ocamlcore.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=604&group_id=1&atid=102
>
> The main problem is that we need to create this kind of function. Most
> of the forge around doesn't provide an "easy coordination" with other
> forges. But I think, it is feasible.

I'll just chime in my support for something like this although I am
also too busy to work on it. I have a couple longstanding projects on
OCaml Forge, and as much as I support concentrating OCaml stuff in one
place, it's just very difficult to resist github's ultra-slickness.

Mike

* Re: OCaml projects on github, hard to find?
@ 2010-09-20 15:49       ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2010-09-20 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 20-09-2010, Mike Lin <mikelin@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net> wrote:
>>> Could OCamlForge be set up to do one-click read-only mirroring of
>>> interesting github projects?
>>>

>> That is a possible project:
>> https://forge.ocamlcore.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=604&group_id=1&atid=102
>>
>> The main problem is that we need to create this kind of function. Most
>> of the forge around doesn't provide an "easy coordination" with other
>> forges. But I think, it is feasible.
>
> I'll just chime in my support for something like this although I am
> also too busy to work on it. I have a couple longstanding projects on
> OCaml Forge, and as much as I support concentrating OCaml stuff in one
> place, it's just very difficult to resist github's ultra-slickness.

I agree with that the ultra-slickness of github is something nice. As
far as I am concerned, I don't see as a problem to use github for source
code and distribute release through the forge. You can benefit from
BTS/mailing list/aggregated news et al on the forge. I think release
distribution, bug tracking and news is something that should be enough
to "concentrate OCaml stuff in one place" and provide a good indexing of
your project (not to say, that it will also cross-link your github
project, thus enhance your PageRank).

If you want to use github, just hide the "source" tab of the project and
leave a note on the project webpage. Ideally, if someone has the time to
code a "github" plugin for the forge, you can choose "github" as SCM and
been redirected to the github project.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall