From: Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] Re: New version of the binary installer for Windows
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:34:27 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Hello,

On 30-03-2012, Jonathan Protzenko <jonathan.protzenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> --------------090404070100000705080101
>
> Hi again,
>
> Following all the good suggestions in this thread, I've updated the
> installer. It now downloads and runs cygwin's setup.exe so as to provide
> a fully working environment for OCaml on windows after the installer
> completes. The cygwin installer runs in silent mode, that is, the
> progress window shows up, but there is no user prompt.
>
> I've also looked into odb compatibility, and it looks like after writing
> a few patches, odb now runs fine on Windows. However, Oasis-generated
> setup.ml files do not work at all on windows. Any help in that area
> would be highly appreciated.

This has nothing to do with windows. This is related the version number
of OCaml which is "4.01.0+dev0 (2012-03-12)". OASIS 0.2 doesn't handle
spaces in the version number... A more classical scheme for version
number with date is 4.01.0+dev0_2012-03-12. But anyway, this is fixed
since OASIS 0.2.1~alpha1 and will be automatically fix in any packages
hosted on the forge -- and it won't be there when your installer will
use a non dev version of OCaml.

BTW, the bug related to these issues is here:
https://forge.ocamlcore.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1135&group_id=54&atid=291
I recommend to follow it.

From what I have seen I am more concerned by the fact that the camlp4
findlib path contains strange char... There are some bugs in findlib on
Windows with pathname, I have attached a patch to the bug. Please test
and send it to Gerd Stolpmann.

Cheers
Sylvain

Sylvain Le Gall