From: Sylvain Le Gall <sylvain@le-gall.net>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] Re: If you distribute oasis' setup.ml with your software, please use a recent (>= 0.3.0) version of Oasis
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:18:40 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

On 10-03-2013, Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com> wrote:
> The number of packages available through OPAM that list "oasis" as a
> dependency (see list below) is too high -- oasis being designed to let
> developers pre-generate setup.ml to avoid any actual dependency on it.
>
> The reason for this is a glitch in old versions of Oasis (< 0.3.0)
> that makes the generated setup.ml break with OCaml >= 4.00.0; OPAM
> packagers list oasis as a dependency to regenerate a fixed setup.ml at
> compilation time. This is the case in particular for the latest
> versions of the following packages:
> - ANSITerminal*
> - bench*

A quick update:

> - ocaml-expect

there is only ocaml-expect 0.0.2 in OPAM, whereas the latest release is
0.0.3 that uses a correct OASIS version.

You can found the tarball as well on
http://oasis.ocamlcore.org/dev/view/ocaml-expect/latest

> - ocaml-posix-resource

This one should be removed, most of the features has been merged in
extunix.

> - ocaml-radixtree

What I have released that !!!!

> - ocaml-sqlexpr

No setup.ml, this is a .tar.gz of the dev github repository (so you need
oasis in this case).

> - optimization1d*
> - root1d*
>

> PS: I learned about the bad interaction between Oasis < 0.3.0 and
> OCaml >= 4.00.0 from Anil Madhavapeddy in the following bugtracker
> item: https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam-repository/issues/496

When oasis 0.3.0 was released, I put a big warning about that fact:
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2012-06/msg00193.html
and
http://le-gall.net/sylvain+violaine/blog/index.php?post/2012/06/28/OASIS-0.3.0-release

EXTREMLY IMPORTANT changes (read this)
Fix bug with scanf %S@\n for ocaml 4.00. We were unfortunetaly using an
undocumented tolerance of Scanf in the previous version. You should
consider making new release using this version that fixed this.

I have also "started to implement" the derive feature in oasis-db, that
should allow you to regenerate a tarball with updating the setup.ml
directly from http://oasis.ocamlcore.org/dev/home. But it is buggy and I
don't yet have time to fix it (real life is too busy).

Cheers,
Sylvain Le Gall
--
Linkedin:   http://fr.linkedin.com/in/sylvainlegall