* [Caml-list] ocaml 3.09.0 binary distribution for windows/mingw
@ 2006-04-11 10:42 Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2006-04-11 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml

Hi,

It seems there is no ocamlmklib! Why oh why??

Is it safe to compile a separate instance of ocaml tools with mingw,
and copy it's ocamlmklib into my system's ocaml bin dir?

Jonathan

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml 3.09.0 binary distribution for windows/mingw
@ 2006-04-11 12:00 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2006-04-11 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

"Jonathan Roewen" <jonathan.roewen@gmail.com> writes:

> It seems there is no ocamlmklib! Why oh why??

Just because it cannot be build under Windows. See

http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2003/07/e9c6124bdfecdfc3581bcce8c957f2ca.en.html

- Dmitry Bely

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml 3.09.0 binary distribution for windows/mingw
@ 2006-04-11 12:43   ` Jonathan Roewen
From: Jonathan Roewen @ 2006-04-11 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

> Just because it cannot be build under Windows. See
>
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2003/07/e9c6124bdfecdfc3581bcce8c957f2ca.en.html

Hmm, that's interesting indeed.

And this also applies to MingW? If it worked with MingW, that would be
great. I read it's available with Cygwin .. so surely it'd extend to
MingW too?

The other option is that you limit ocamlmklib on windows to only
generate the static (or dynamic, depending on what would be thought as
best) versions? At least it'd give one a halfway house.

BTW: this stems from trying to build camlimages on Win32 with MingW. I
guess I'll google some to see if anyone indeed pulled this off.

@ 2006-04-11 13:20     ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2006-04-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

"Jonathan Roewen" <jonathan.roewen@gmail.com> writes:

>> Just because it cannot be build under Windows. See
>>
>> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2003/07/e9c6124bdfecdfc3581bcce8c957f2ca.en.html
>
> Hmm, that's interesting indeed.
>
> And this also applies to MingW? If it worked with MingW, that would be
> great. I read it's available with Cygwin .. so surely it'd extend to
> MingW too?

Yes, it applies to Mingw too (I was wrong if you've read the whole
thread). The reason it works under Cygwin is that Cygwin build does not
support dynamic linking.

- Dmitry Bely