From: Pierre.Boulet@lifl.fr (Pierre.Boulet)
To: Chris Hecker <checker@d6.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: single-precision floats, etc.
Date: 18 Oct 2000 15:53:59 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Chris,

> Most importantly, is there any way to make the "float" type compile
> to single precision floating point numbers?
> Another question, which is not as important, was the size limitation
> on arrays.
> Finally, why aren't simple arrays of ints unboxed, like the arrays
> of floats?  Would that be a hard change to make as well?

I think that maybe what you are looking for is the bigarray library
that appeared with ocaml 3.00. It provides unboxed arrays of float32,
float64 and many int variants without any size limitation... and with
the choice of Fortran or C layout. I have not yet tested it but I was
really pleased to see it because it means ocaml can now be used for
scientific computing also (as well as for games :-) ).

--
Pierre.Boulet@lifl.fr -  http://www.lifl.fr/~boulet

     In theory, practice and theory are the same,
     but in practice they are different. -- Larry McVoy