* ANNOUNCE: LablPCRE 0.9 - a PCRE binding for Objective Caml
@ 2005-12-23  5:42 Robert Roessler
From: Robert Roessler @ 2005-12-23  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

The second public release of the LablPCRE OCaml binding for PCRE is
now available, featuring a new "module" interface with expanded
functionality and supporting PCRE releases 6.1 - 6.4 (current).

LablPCRE still provides simple and easy to use access to regular
expression pattern matching - while a richer module-based interface is
now standard, the original "object" interface is available for those
who prefer that style.

While I have been pleased to incorporate feedback on the interface
layout, I am still very interested in expanding the platforms
supported "natively" in the Makefile, and welcome any contributions,
patches, or suggestions in this area... not only will these help
LablPCRE advance to "1.0" status, they will greatly facilitate the
release (and usefulness) of other projects to the OCaml community.

With a distribution incorporating pre-built Windows binaries, LablPCRE
is released under the "new" BSD license, and may be downloaded here:

http://www.rftp.com/Downloads.shtml

Robert Roessler
roessler@rftp.com
http://www.rftp.com

* Re: [Caml-list] ANNOUNCE: LablPCRE 0.9 - a PCRE binding for Objective Caml
@ 2005-12-29 15:21 ` N. Owen Gunden
From: N. Owen Gunden @ 2005-12-29 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:42:30PM -0800, Robert Roessler wrote:
> The second public release of the LablPCRE OCaml binding for PCRE is
> now available, featuring a new "module" interface with expanded
> functionality and supporting PCRE releases 6.1 - 6.4 (current).

What is the advantage of your PCRE bindings over Markus Mottl's
pcre-ocaml?  How do they differ?

Is there API documentation for your library on the web somewhere?

* Re: [Caml-list] ANNOUNCE: LablPCRE 0.9 - a PCRE binding for Objective Caml
@ 2005-12-29 20:44   ` Robert Roessler
From: Robert Roessler @ 2005-12-29 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

N. Owen Gunden wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:42:30PM -0800, Robert Roessler wrote:
>> The second public release of the LablPCRE OCaml binding for PCRE is
>> now available, featuring a new "module" interface with expanded
>> functionality and supporting PCRE releases 6.1 - 6.4 (current).
>
> What is the advantage of your PCRE bindings over Markus Mottl's
> pcre-ocaml?  How do they differ?

At the time (mid-June 2005), Markus' package would not build properly
on Windows... he invited me to contribute a fix, and in good open
source style, I built my own. ;)

As I was already familiar with PCRE in its "POSIX" interface guise, I
was looking for a relatively simple interface... I found the sheer
comprehensiveness of Markus' binding (giving access to *all* of PCRE)
daunting.  So, deciding that others with modest pattern-matching needs
might also appreciate a simpler interface, I built LablPCRE (certainly
not as a replacement, but as a small-footprint alternative).

There are really only three "major" functions in LablPCRE: regcomp to
compile REs, regexec to test them against input, and regmatch when all
that is needed is a simple match/nomatch query (this last is my own
low-resource-consumption addition - it is not included in the POSIX API).

In addition, of course, there are a handful of functions for accessing
the match state, errors, and/or any captured substrings from a regexec
invocation.  Some effort is made to make a Pcre.t value as light as
possible, e.g., a reference to the tested string will only be kept if
the match succeeded *and* substring capture was requested.

The original release made the above (minus regmatch) available in an
"object" form... subsequent experience with OCaml vernacular and idiom
suggested that a "module" interface was superior, so the current
release has been re-oriented to that style (with the original object
interface still available).

> Is there API documentation for your library on the web somewhere?

Yes - in the LablPCRE-0.9.tar.gz file on the download site. :)

As seems to be somewhat common in the OCaml world, there is a
commented .mli file, and a README.txt with more in-depth discussions
and examples.

@ 2005-12-30 15:04     ` Christoph Bauer
From: Christoph Bauer @ 2005-12-30 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> At the time (mid-June 2005), Markus' package would not build properly
> on Windows... he invited me to contribute a fix, and in good open
> source style, I built my own. ;)

OCaml-MinGW-Maxi contains a working version of ocaml-pcre. You can
find my build notes under
http://lasagne.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/omm/protokol.txt., Section 3. The Makefile.mingw
can be found at http://lasagne.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/omm/.

best regards,