categories - Category Theory list
From: "DR Mawanda" <mm.mawanda@nul.ls>
To: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Categories ridiculously abstract
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:18:24 +0200	[thread overview]

My understanding of the relation between  category theory and  set  theory
is that category theory  is a formal theory built on abstract concepts
(objects and morphisms). The way of defining category theory need a
metalanguage which is closed to the logic of set theory language (a
particular case of what is called boolean logic). There is a sort of
dichothomy between logic behind the two theories. This dichothomy come from
our limitation of talking about category theory. We use  already two-valued
logic (true and false)  which we cannot avoid if we need to talk about
identity of objects and morphisms. Now a kind of Godel's arguments about
natural numbers (If N is consistent, then there is no proof of its
consistency by method formalizable within the theory ) is  what is going on.
This doesn't stop the category theory 'game'. When you give birth to a child
you will never know in advance if the child will be an honest person or a
criminal. Category theory have generated many structures which can help us
to understand why many mathematicians have work differently to describe a
same mathematical concept in different ways. As an example we know, from
category theory,  that Cauchy and Dedekind were defining real numbers from
rational numbers but the two definitions are not saying the same thing.