categories - Category Theory list
From: "Robert W. McGrail" <robert.mcgrail@marist.edu>
To: "categories@mta.ca" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: RE: Mac Lane's inclusions
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:11:58 -0500	[thread overview]

Colin,

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that every \tau-category is a
category with inclusions.  Moreover, I recall a result by Freyd that every
(sufficiently small? cartesian?) category is equivalent to a \tau-category.
 The proof does not use choice.

In any event, see Categories, Allegories by Freyd and Scedrov for
\tau-categories.  Hope this helps.

Bob McGrail

On Thursday, July 15, 1999 12:32 PM, Colin McLarty [SMTP:cxm7@po.cwru.edu]
wrote:
> This note gives an alternative characterization of "inclusions" in Mac
> Lane's sense; and proves every category with selected monics is
equivalent
> to one with "inclusions". Some of it may have been known before and if so
> would appreciate references.
>
> 	In a circular letter Saunders Mac Lane has suggested paying attention to
> "inclusions" in categorical set theory.  The main questions about this
have
> general categorical answers as follows. A category has "selected monics"
if
> for each object C, each equivalence class of monics to C has one selected
> representative. The selected monics are called "inclusions" if whenever
> C'>->C and C">->C' are selected, the composite C">->C is also selected.
>
> 	The following alternative characterization motivates the construction in
> the next theorem but is not actually used to prove it. Given monics i and
> to a single object, with i<j, the monic h such that jh=i will be called
the
> "transition monic" from i to j. (For e-mail convenience I write i<j to
mean
> i is included in or equal to j.)
>
> Fact: In any category with selected monics, the selected monics are
> inclusions if and only if: for all selected monics i and j with i<j, the
> transition monic h is also selected.
>
> Proof: First suppose i:I>->C and j:J>->C are selected, and selected
monics
> compose. The transition h must have some selected equivalent k:K>->J, and
so
> jk is selected and equivalent to i, which implies jk=i and k=h so h is
> selected. Conversely suppose h:I>->J and j:J>->C are selected and
transition
> monics between selected monics are selected. Then jh:I>->C has some
selected
> equivalent m and for some iso g we have jhg=m. Thus hg is transition
monic
> between the selected m and j, and so hg is selected. But hg is also
> equivalent to the selected h so hg=h and g is an identity. Thus jh=m is
> selected.
>

> 	In any topos with selected pullbacks we have selected monics, since for
any
> equivalence class of monics we can take the selected pullback of "true"
> along the characteristic arrow. These need not be inclusions. However, we
> have:
>
> Theorem: Any category A with selected monics is equivalent to a category
AI