categories - Category Theory list
From: Peter McBurney <petermcburney@attglobal.net>
To: "'categories@mta.ca'" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Michael Healy's question on math and AI
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:37:46 -0000	[thread overview]

Professor Lawvere's message included the following sentence:

On Wednesday, January 24, 2001 11:26 PM, F. William Lawvere
[SMTP:wlawvere@hotmail.com] wrote:

>For > example, some say that logic is more general than mathematics,
partly
> because of ignoring the strongly qualitative aspect of modern mathematics
> and partly because of the philosophical tradition of hiding the fact that
no
> logic other than mathematical logic has had any significant real-world
> applications.

It's not entirely clear to me what is being asserted in the second part of
this sentence.  If what is being asserted includes the statement that the
only logic which has had any significant real-world applications is
mathematical logic, then this assertion is incorrect.  To give just one
example, over the last decade the Advanced Computation Laboratory of the
Imperial Cancer Research Fund (ICRF) in London, UK, has built intelligent
computer decision-support systems for medical applications using logics of
argumentation.  These logics typically use non-deductive modes of
reasoning, and are based on the work of philosophers of argumentation
dating from the 1950s; this work in philosophy was undertaken outside, and
in strong opposition to, the tradition of mathematical logic.  A
category-theoretic semantics has been provided for some of these logics of
argumentation.    The resulting decision-support systems have found
real-world application in cancer treatment advice, in drug prescription and
in the automated assessment of chemical properties, such as toxicity and
carcinogenicity.   Moreover, current research in Artificial Intelligence is
developing the use of non-deductive argumentation formalisms for automated
dialogues between autonomous software agents in multi-agent systems, work
that is likely to form the basis of next-generation e-commerce systems.

Peter McBurney

Peter McBurney
Agent Applications, Research and Technologies (Agent ART) Group
Department of Computer Science
University of Liverpool
Liverpool L69 7ZF
U. K.