In his generous way, Phil was corresponding last year with one of our graduate students, answering questions, sharing his ideas. That is when Phil had the health problem diagnosed. It was clearly a shock for him. We were hoping the treatment would give him much longer than it did. I am very sad with this news. I enjoyed talking with Phil on my visits to Montréal. There was always fine feedback from him and from Jim Lambek when I gave a seminar. I sat next to Phil on a plane flight when he was still putting the final touches to the "Intro to higher order categorical logic". Just about everything I know about lambda calculus comes from that book. Please convey my condolences to Phil's family. Ross On 19 Dec 2023, at 3:10 pm, Richard Blute wrote: It is with great sadness that we convey the news to the category theory community that our good friend and colleague Phil Scott passed away this morning (18th December, 2023) after a long battle with cancer. Phil’s many contributions to category theory are well known. Phil and Jim Lambek essentially invented the field of categorical proof theory with a series of papers that culminated in the book “Introduction To Higher-Order Categorical Logic”, which is still the standard text on the subject. Phil’s research went well beyond these initial works: he made major contributions to theoretical computer science, linear logic, inverse semigroup theory and recursion theory. Those of us who knew him personally will always think of him as a mentor, a friend and a genuinely kind soul. Rick Blute Robin Cockett Simon Henry You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message. View group files | Leave group | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups