Attached is a picture I took during the reception mentioned by André. First on the left, you can see Marek with his unmistakable smile. Best, Chris On 2024-03-06 11:52 a.m., Joyal, André wrote: > Dear Karol, > > I am shocked to learn that Marek Zawadowski has passed away. > I wish to express my condolances to all, especially to you Karol, > to Justyna Grudzinska and to Krzysztof Kapulkin. > >  Marek was a very talented mathematician, a great teacher and a very > kind person. > He received is Phd from the University of Montreal in 1989 under the > direction of Gonzalo Reyes. > He mostly worked in mathematical logic, category theory and higher > category theory, > He contributed to the rebirth of the great Polish school of mathematics. > He was passionate about the philosophical and social impact of mathematics. > I will always remember the reception he held with his father in Warsaw > during > the celebration of Eilenberg's centenary in 2013. > His father remembered the brutality of WWII. > I wish to his express my condolances to Marek's family. > > André Joyal > > > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > *De :* Karol Szumiło > *Envoyé :* 6 mars 2024 01:20 > *À :* categories@mq.edu.au > *Objet :* Re: Marek Zawadowski > The news of Marek's passing is immensely saddening. He was among the > kindest, most thoughtful and optimistic people I have ever known. He was > my first teacher of category theory and his influence over my outlook on > mathematics cannot be overstated. Marek was also the one who urged me to > take up a job at the University of Warsaw. I count myself lucky for > having the benefit of his companionship over the last two years. He will > be greatly missed. > > Karol Szumiło > > You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories > mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this > conversation, reply all to this message. > View group files > | Leave group | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups > > You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories > mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this > conversation, reply all to this message. > View group files > | Leave group | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups >