categories - Category Theory list
* stable flatness and exponentiation
@ 2005-09-16 12:19 Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2005-09-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I have three questions:

Question 1: Is there an intrinsic characterization of the stably flat
maps of locales, i.e., those continuous maps f: X->Y such that

   id_Z x f: Z x X -> Z x Y

is flat for all Z?

(Recall that f: X->Y is flat iff the right adjoint f_*: OX -> OY of
f^*: OY -> OX preserves finite joins. Preservation of merely the empty
join amounts to density, and hence flatness is a rather strong form of
density. For example, the embedding of a completely regular locale
into its Stone-Cech compactification is strongly dense in this sense.)

I don't think all flat maps are stably flat, but I may be
mistaken. Specifically, for a locale X let JX denote the spectral
locale defined by

   OJX = ideals of OX.

Then there is a sublocale embedding eta: X->JX defined by

   eta^*(I) = join I,

which is known to be flat.

Question 2: Is eta: X->JX stably flat for every X?

If so, then compact Hausdorff locales would be exponentiating. Here a
locale Y is called exponentiating iff the exponential Y^X exists for
every X. Recall also that X is exponentiable iff the exponential Y^X
exists for every Y, and that this is the case iff the frame OX is a
continuous lattice.

Now, JX is exponentiable because OJX is an algebraic lattice. We claim
that if eta_X were stably flat, then for every compact Hausdorff
locale Y, the exponential Y^JX would have the universal property of an
exponential Y^X with respect to a suitably defined evaluation map and
a suitable construction of exponential transposition.

Define e: Y^JX x X -> Y as the restriction of the original evaluation
map ev: Y^JX x JX -> Y, that is

             id x eta                ev
   Y^JX x X ----------> Y^JX -> JX -------> Y.
            ------------------------------>

Now, to show that the pair (Y^JX,e) has the universal property of an
exponential Y^X, given f: Z x X -> Y, we have to construct a transpose
f': Z -> Y^JX such that e(f' x id_X) = f.

Consider the diagram

              id_Z x eta_X
       Z x X --------------> Z x JX
          \                   .
           \                 .
            \               .
             \             .
              \           .
            f  \         .  f''
                \       .
                 \     .
                  \   .
                   v v
                    Y.

If eta_X were stably flat, then, by "Joyal's Lemma", which says that
compact Hausdorff locales are orthogonal to flat embeddings, there
would be a unique f'' making the diagram commute.

Then its Y^JX-transpose f': Z -> Y^JX with respect to the original
evaluation map would give the unique required Y^X-transpose of our
given f: Z x X -> Y with respect to our constructed evaluation map, as
an easy calculation shows, using the universal property of Y^JX with
respect to the original evaluation map.

This shows that if Question 2 had a positive answer then compact
Hausdorff locales would be exponentiating.

Question 3. But surely compact Hausdorff locales cannot possibly be
exponentiating, can they?

(These questions make sense for topological spaces too. )

MHE