categories - Category Theory list
From: Barry Jay <cbj@socs.uts.edu.au>
To: nxg@cs.bham.ac.uk
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Naturality Squares and Pullbacks
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:15:54 +1000 (EST)	[thread overview]

>A natural transformation is an indexed family of arrows such that a
>certain diagram commutes. One could require a stronger condition,
>namely that the said diagram is a pullback. What would such a
>transformation be called? I'm sure I've seen this in the literature
>before but I cant remember where. Pointers?

Cartesion natural transformations data:F=>L into the list functor have
	been used to represent the data-shape decomposition of many
	data types of the form FX.

	    data_X
	FX --------> LX
	|  |         |
F! = 	|  |         | L! =
shape	|--          | length
	|            |
	F1 --------> L1
	   data_1 =
	   arity

Examples include tree types and array types. See, for example

@Article{Jay95b,
	Author= cbj,
	Title={A semantics for shape},
        Journal={Science of Computer Programming},
        Volume=25,
	Year={1995},
        Pages={251--283}
        }

and other papers at http://linus.socs.uts.edu.au/~cbj.

>This problem arose in the context of finitary monads where
>T(X) is the derived operations over a set X for some signature.
>The naturality square for the unit turns out to be a pullback.
>This then implies that the unit of the monad is a monic -
>presumably this is a result in the literature somewhere.
>Again, pointers?
>
>Neil Ghani

If T(X) = mu_Y. X + P(X,Y) for some polynomial P then the
	cartesian-ness of the unit for the monad follows from one of
	the main theorems of the paper above, which shows that taking
	initial algebras preserves cartesian-ness. Here it is applied
	to the (cartesian) inclusion X -> X + P(X,Y).

Barry Jay