categories - Category Theory list
From: F W Lawvere <wlawvere@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Comma categories
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:11:48 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

A crucial point is whether the recipient of the enriching is cartesian or
not. Note that fully internalising always must involve a cartesian aspect
since one must diagonalize on the parametrizers of families of objects
(at least) in order to explain eg natural transformations, even if the
parametrizers for individual homs are not cartesian (eg linear or metric).

One can envisage replacing individual "comma" categories by families of
categories parametrized by (commutative) coalgebras, which seems just a
way of constructing a cartesian category for the purpose, to which it may
or may not be adequate.

Symmetric monoidal categories in which the unit object is terminal seem to
have a special role, but that may be illusory.(After all "any" smc is
covered by one with that additional property) . Perhaps the affine modules
( see my paper "Grassmann's dialectics and category theory") constitute a
good test case for proposed constuctions

Bill Lawvere.
F. William Lawvere			Mathematics Dept. SUNY
wlawvere@acsu.buffalo.edu               106 Diefendorf Hall
716-829-2144  ext. 117		        Buffalo, N.Y. 14214, USA