categories - Category Theory list
* first reference to "dualizing object"?
@ 1999-01-20 16:40 Koslowski
From: Koslowski @ 1999-01-20 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Dear Colleagues,

  A referee attributed the notion of "dualizing object" in the context
  of *-autonomous to Grothendieck, but wasn't sure of the exact
  reference.  Does somebody out there happen to know, where this was
  introduced first?

  Thank you very much.

-- J"urgen Koslowski

--
J"urgen Koslowski       % If I don't see you no more in this world
ITI                     % I meet you in the next world

* Re: first reference to "dualizing object"?
@ 1999-01-20 20:07 ` Dusko Pavlovic
From: Dusko Pavlovic @ 1999-01-20 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koslowski; +Cc: categories list

>   A referee attributed the notion of "dualizing object" in the context
>   of *-autonomous to Grothendieck, but wasn't sure of the exact
>   reference.  Does somebody out there happen to know, where this was
>   introduced first?

hi.

there is probably a bit of duality in Grothendieck's TVS book. perhaps
there is more in one of his functional analysis papers from the 50es, all
referenced in the book.

an even earlier source, with a hint of the chu construction, is George
Mackey's work on barreled spaces, as pointed out to me by Bill Lawvere.

-- dusko