categories - Category Theory list
* Reading advice
@ 1999-02-02 19:21 Prof. J. Lambek
From: Prof. J. Lambek @ 1999-02-02 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Concerning the question by Lindquist:

The tensor product automatically satisfies all functoriality,
associativity and coherence conditions, if it is introduced by a
universal property as by Bourbaki. This is shown for monoidal
categories (bicategories with one object) e.g. in my paper
``Multicategories revisited'', Contemporary Mathematics 92(1989). The
same argument works for arbitrary bicategories provided, in defining
a multicategory, one replaces the free monoid generated by a set by
the free category generated by a graph.

Jim Lambek

* Re: Reading advice
@ 1999-02-03  7:33 ` Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 1999-02-03  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

>From: "Prof. J. Lambek" <lambek@math.mcgill.ca>
>Subject: categories: Reading advice
>
>Concerning the question by Lindquist:
>
>The tensor product automatically satisfies all functoriality,
>associativity and coherence conditions, if it is introduced by a
>universal property as by Bourbaki.

In view of this would it be fair to say that coherence is not a notion
intrinsic to category theory, but rather arises from the traditional
set theoretic presentation (or at least point of view) of category theory?

Much the same can surely be said of naturality, whose abstract essence
is that of 2-cells but which is standardly presented concretely, where
the interchange axiom becomes a not entirely trivial theorem.

Vaughan Pratt