categories - Category Theory list
* co-exponential question
@ 1999-07-16 19:55 Bill Halchin
From: Bill Halchin @ 1999-07-16 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

This is actually a "dual" question.
Basically I want to do the dual of the construction
gives the notion of an exponential or map object.

Suppose we have a category C with sums. Then we build the
following category from C.

object:  T+X<-----Y

map: from T+X<-----Y  to T+X'<-------Y is a C map "alpha"  such
that we have the following diagram:

                   I-sub-T+alpha
         T+X---------------------------->T+X'
           ^                              ^
            \                            /
             \                          /
              \                        /
               \                      /
                \                    /
                 \                  /
                  \                /
                   \              /
                    \            /
                     \          /
                      \        /
                       \      /
                        \    /
                         \  /
                          \/

   Then suppose there exists a C-object called Y**T such
that  T+Y**T<-------Y is the initial object of the category
just built above. What significance does Y**T have opposed
to the concept of an exponential???? If I did everything
correctly it (Y**T) should be the dual of T**Y.

Regards,

Bill Halchin

* Re: co-exponential question
@ 1999-07-22 20:28 Andrzej Filinski
From: Andrzej Filinski @ 1999-07-22 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Paul Levy writes:

> I don't know if this is relevant to your question, but there is an
> example in programming semantics where the dual of a cartesian closed
> category has independent significance, due to Lafont, Streicher, Reus
> and Hofmann.  (Some further work was done by Selinger.)  It is found
> in the following paper:  [Streicher & Reus 1998]

Indeed, co-exponentials are closely tied the semantics of call/cc-like
control operators. This connection is perhaps expressed more directly in
the following (regrettably somewhat unpolished) work:

@MastersThesis{Filinski:89a,
  author =      "Andrzej Filinski",
  title =       "Declarative Continuations and Categorical Duality",
  school =      "Computer Science Department, University of Copenhagen",
  year =        1989,
  month =       Aug,
  note =        "DIKU Report 89/11",
  URL =         "http://www.brics.dk/~andrzej/papers/DCaCD.ps.gz"
}

@InProceedings{Filinski:89b,
  author =      "Andrzej Filinski",
  title =       "Declarative Continuations: An Investigation of
                 Duality in Programming Language Semantics",
  booktitle =   "Category Theory and Computer Science",
  series =      LNCS,
  number =      389,
  address =     "Manchester, UK",
  month =       Sep,
  pages =       "224-249"
}

Specifically, in the category induced by the types and terms of a
call-by-value language with first-class continuations, the coproduct
functor - + A actually has a left adjoint - x (A -> 0), where 0 is the
empty type.  The operational intuition behind this construction is that
a function f : X -> Y + A returning either a "normal" (Y) or an
"exceptional" (A) result corresponds to a function f' : X x (A -> 0) ->
Y, returning only the normal result, but passing any exceptional results
to an additional, non-returning-function parameter.

(In a purely functional language, the type A -> 0 would of course
contain at most one value; but in the presence of control effects, such
as exceptions, there can be many distinct "functions" of this type. And
with a sufficiently powerful control operator, it actually becomes
possible to define co-application and co-currying with equational
properties exactly mirroring those of CCC exponentials.)

Still, as Paul notes,

> K is certainly an important category, but I wouldn't say that the fact
> that it has coexponentials is significant.

constructing a categorical semantics of a language with control operators
_directly_ in terms of coexponentials is somewhat awkward, and the
formulation used by Streicher and Reus is almost certainly nicer to work
with in practice.

-- Andrzej