categories - Category Theory list
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Real midpoints
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 00:03:53 -0800	[thread overview]

From: Peter Freyd <pjf@saul.cis.upenn.edu>
>It could well be that Vaughan and I are defining the midpoint structure
>in the same way.

Yes, after changing g(dx,uy) to g(ux,dy) in line 2 of Peter's definition
of g and similarly for line 3 (otherwise g(dx,uy) simplifies to the
nonsensical g(T,B)) Peter and I have essentially the same coalgebra on
IxI, and exactly the same after some inessential permutations within
that definition.

While I rather like Peter's nonrecursive definition

                   T v F v B             F'v F'        F'
    I --> 1 v I v 1 ------> I v I v I v I ---> I v I  --> I

of the halving map  h:I --> I sending  x  to  x/2, it should be remarked
that the effect of this map as an operation on sequences is to preserve
the empty sequence, and for nonempty sequences simply to prepend a copy
of the leading digit, e.g. -++-+000... becomes --++-+000....  (This takes
the 3-symbol alphabet for Peter's number system to be {-,0,+}.)  In other
words, right shift by one with sign extension, a well-known realization
of halving.

Along the same lines, Peter's d and u maps shift the sequence left.
If d (resp. u) shifts a + (resp. -) off the left end, the result is
replaced by the constantly + (resp. -) sequence, i.e. "clamp overflow
to +1 (resp. -1)".

Although the interval [-1,1] goes naturally with Peter's final coalgebra,
it occurrs to me that a fragment of Conway's surreal numbers is perfectly
matched to it, namely the interval [-\omega,\omega] consisting of the real
line plus two endpoints.  With respect to the Conway story this can be
described as what Conway produces by day omega, modulo infinitesimals
(identify those surreals that are only infinitesimally far apart).
At no day does exactly the real line appear in Conway's scenario.
Prior to day omega only the finite binary rationals have appeared.
Day omega sees the sudden emergence of all the reals along with 1/omega
added to and subtracted from each rational, as well as -omega and omega.
Except for -omega and omega, the quotienting eliminates the 1/omega
perturbations, yielding exactly the real line plus endpoints.

Exactly the same quotienting happens with Peter's final coalgebra, whose
elements are representable as finite and infinite strings over {-,+}
(the 0 is eliminated by allowing strings to be finite; if you want all
strings to be infinite, put 0 back in the alphabet and use it to pad the
infinite strings to infinity).  For example ---+++++... and --+----...
are identified by both Conway and Freyd.  Using Peter's choice of [-1,1]
as the represented interval, these are both -1/4.  Using Conway's number
system, these are respectively -2 - 1/omega and -2 + 1/omega, which
with the identification I described above become -2.

In Conway's setup the finite constant sequences are the integers, with
the empty sequence being 0 and counting being done in unary.  At the
first sign reversal the bits jump mysteriously from unary to binary, not
by fiat but as a surprising consequence of a definition of addition that
on the face of is so natural that you would not dream it could cause a
radix jump like that.

So both [-1,1] and [-omega,omega] each admit a natural final coalgebra
structure for Peter's functor, namely Peter's and Conway's respectively,
and I would be surprised to see a different final coalgebra in either
case that was as natural.  In contrast, Dusko and I exhibited a number
of more or less equally convincing final coalgebra structures on [0,1)
and [0,omega) for the functor product-with-omega, no one of which I
would be willing to call *the* right one.

Vaughan