categories - Category Theory list
* re: process algebras
@ 2000-04-21 16:52 Robin Cockett
From: Robin Cockett @ 2000-04-21 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Another few papers which may be of interest are:

"Constructing process categories"
J.R,B. Cockett (me!) & D.A. Spooner
TCS 177 (1997) 73-109

"Categories for syncrony and asynchrony"
J.R,B. Cockett & D.A. Spooner
Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science I (1995) 495-520

These papers explore the "combinatorial" representation of processes
using span categories.  In particular they give an account of
Abramsky's program to model processes (based on a CCS style
presentation) using span categories.

-robin

* Re: process algebras
@ 2000-05-11 18:59   ` Lindsay Errington
From: Lindsay Errington @ 2000-05-11 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

> Is there any formalization of process algebras in term of categories? I
> would be interested in giving an computational, multi-process semantics
> to certain graphs, and I thought it could be done in terms of a functor
> to a process category (if this concept exists...)
> Is there any literature about this?

I have a CTCS99 paper ``On the semantics of message passing processes'' at
http://theory.doc.ic.ac.uk/~le which may be relevant. As the title
suggests, it looks at categorical semantics for a CSP-like language with
assignment. It is related to the work mentioned by Robin and Dusko. Also,
the conclusions of my thesis discusses representing process networks as
diagrams in a category of processes. This might be related to your comment
above.

Lindsay

* Re: process algebras
@ 2000-04-21 19:19 dusko
From: dusko @ 2000-04-21 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

> Is there any formalization of process algebras in term of categories? I
> would be interested in giving an computational, multi-process semantics
> to certain graphs, and I thought it could be done in terms of a functor
> to a process category (if this concept exists...)
> Is there any literature about this?

around 1995, i had two papers about "convenient categories for process
calculus" and one about "categorical logic of concurrency and
interaction". the simplest way to get them is probably on hypatia, or from
my web page http://www.kestrel.edu/HTML/people/pavlovic/ i am not sure to
which extent is this what you are looking for, but it is surely related.
later samson abramsky and i figured how to deal with process categories
much better, but most of it was never written up. an initial account was
in our CTCS 97 paper (also available, i think, at the same sites.)

-- dusko pavlovic

* process algebras
@ 2000-04-21  5:51 Anna Labella
From: Anna Labella @ 2000-04-21  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

----------
>Da: matthieu amiguet <matthieu.amiguet@info.unine.ch>
>A: categories@mta.ca
>Oggetto: categories: process algebras
>Data: Gio, 20 apr 2000 14:49
>

>Dear categoricians,
>
>Is there any formalization of process algebras in term of categories? I
>would be interested in giving an computational, multi-process semantics
>to certain graphs, and I thought it could be done in terms of a functor
>to a process category (if this concept exists...)
>Is there any literature about this?
>Thank you for your help,
>
>Matthieu Amiguet

We have a categorical formalization of process algebras in terms of enriched
category theory. You can see for a general presentation:
S.Kasangian, A.Labella "Observational trees as models for concurrency"
Math. Struct. in Comp.Science (1999) vol.9 pp.687-718

Anna Labella

* process algebras
@ 2000-04-20 12:49 ` matthieu amiguet