categories - Category Theory list
* Adjoints in bicategories
@ 2000-06-22 12:45 Frank Atanassow
From: Frank Atanassow @ 2000-06-22 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I'm looking for definitions of (the weak 2-dimensional analogues of 1-)
products and coproducts for bicategories, and also adjoints. In his 1967
article "Introduction to Bicategories, Part I" Benabou promises to treat
biadjoints in a sequel, but I gather this was never published. Gray treats a
notion of "quasi-adjointness" in "Formal Category Theory"; is this accepted as
the "right" generalization?

Pointers to definitions of these concepts in one of the approaches to weak
n-categories would be welcome as well.

--
Frank Atanassow, Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14, PO Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, Netherlands