categories - Category Theory list
From: Robin Cockett <robin@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Category of Heyting Algebras
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:32:10 -0700 (MST)	[thread overview]

Further to Peter's remark that the opposite of the category finitely
presented Heyting algebras is rather nice ... one particular sense in
which it is nice is that it is a lextensive category!  So -- to
seemingly contradict Peter :-) -- it does have a partial map classifier
(but of course not for all monics)!

The fact that it is a lextensive category can be obtained, by checking
some Heyting algebra identities, from

"Conditional Control is not quite Categorical Control"
IV Higher Order Workshop, Banff 1990, Workshops in Computing
(Springer-Verlag) 190-217 (1991)

where the general question of when the opposite of an algebraic theory
is extensive is answered.

Any extensive category can be fully and faithfully embedded in a topos
so as to preserve sums and limits ... so the ability to embed the
opposite of Heyting algebra "nicely" into a topos can also be
read from these results.

-robin

P.S.Whether this embedding has the other logical properties
mentioned is, of course, another question ...