categories - Category Theory list
From: Thomas Streicher <streicher@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: preservation of exponentials
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:32:50 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

Recently when rereading an old paper I came across a passage insinuating
that every finite limit preserving full and faithful functor between toposes
does also preserve exponentials.
I am sceptical because I don't see any obvious reason for it. It is certainly
wrong for ccc's (a counterexample is the inclusion of open sets of reals into
powersets of reals). On the other hand Yoneda functors and direct image parts
of injective geom morphs do preserve exponentials.
So I was thinking of inverse image parts of connected geom.morph.'s.
Of course, \Delta : Set -> Psh(C) for a connected C does preserve exponentials.
What about Delta : Set -> Sh(X) for X connected but not locally connected,
e.g. take for X Cantor space with a focal point added?

Thomas Streicher