categories - Category Theory list
* Centenary Medal to Max
@ 2003-04-22 18:00 Peter Freyd
From: Peter Freyd @ 2003-04-22 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

           Copyright 2003 John Fairfax Publications Pty Ltd
                        Sydney Morning Herald

                        April 22, 2003 Tuesday

SECTION: News And Features; Pg. 4

LENGTH: 292 words

HEADLINE: A Plus For Unifying Maths

BYLINE: Peter Munro

BODY: Max Kelly, 72, is modest about his Centenary Medal for services
to mathematics. He described it as an award for the little people.

"It is a simple award for many common people, for little people. It's
not an elite award," he said yesterday from his home in Pymble. "It's
for the people in the world who help here and there."

Mr Kelly helped by forming the Australian Category Theory Seminar in
1971. Category theory is a modern area of study that seeks to clarify
mathematics by uniting its different theoretical streams. The seminar,
run between Macquarie University and the universities of Sydney and
NSW, is now one of the world's leading research centres on category
theory.

"Category theory sheds light on the relations between various aspects
of mathematics and in doing so it brings unity and simplicity," Mr
Kelly said. "It lights the way for the next lot of advances."

He was pleased to be recognised on a list feat uring sportspeople,
actors and politicians.

"I am a bit surprised and rather pleased that they would take into
account scientific achievements."

Scientists in many fields were among the 4491 medal recipients from
NSW: Brian Doyle, from West Pymble, was recognised for his
contribution to the advancement of astronomy; Leslie Field, from Lane
Cove, for services to organic chemistry; Victor Flambaum, from Coogee,
for atomic and nuclear physics.

Mr Kelly said it was important that scientific achievements were
recognised as another form of community work.

"Some people get recognition for helping the community in various ways
but scientific advancement is also important to developing our
country.

"My gifts happen to be in this area. I cannot do anything special for
meals on wheels, but I can in this area."

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-04-22 18:00 UTC | newest]